Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Netley Military Cemetery

jgreen

I am putting together some information about the people who are buried in Netley Military Cemetery. Would anyone on here have any stories or photos of these people and be willing to share it? Also, if anyone knows of any web sites, I would be very grateful.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

I started a thread on this site about Netley hospital, and there are some items within the thread pertaining to soldiers who are buried at Netley.

Post #11 includes the obituaries for two Canadian soldiers buried at Netley, Pte. E. J. Niddery, and Pte. Charles McKenzie Stewart. Here's the link to that thread:

Netley Hospital - GWF thread

Also, my great uncle died at Netley hospital and is buried at Netley cemetery. I've put his story online here:

Pte. G. M. Pirie - story

Pte. G. M. Pirie - Part II - remembering

I also may have a few other items for soldiers at Netley. I will look for them.

- Marika (Pirie)

Hi

I can send you some information on Andrew Russell, Cameron Highlanders, who is buried in the cemetery in Netley. PM me your email address and I'll send it through!

Swizz

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Marika I would be interested if you have any more items. Would I be able to use this information in the folder that I am putting together please?

My email is jd.green@outlook.com

Edited by jgreen

Hello, I would be very interested in your information. Can I use it for my research please? I live near to Netley and visit the cemetery when I can - it's such a lovely peaceful resting place and I was upset to find that there is not much information about the soldiers and civilians that are buried there held locally, so I have taken it upon myself to do something about it. It might take a while!! Already I have found items of interest on the web and stories. I would love some photos but I know that we are talking about people who passed away a long time ago and unless families are interested in their own history, the photos have probably been lost or destroyed unfortunately.

Thanks everyone for your help - I will keep you posted on progress!!

Julie

jd.green@outlook.com  

Edited by jgreen
new email address

I have just emailed you with further information.

Also, I've sent you a newspaper article about William McKelvey Johnston, 136349, 52nd Battalion Manitoba Regiment, CEF, who is also buried at Netley. This article was published in the Toronto Star on March 14th, 1917. This is Johnston's online memorial page. I've posted this article in his "photo collection" on the Canadian Virtual Memorial which may be viewed here.

Hope this is helpful. I have a large collection of images relating to Netley hospital during the first World War. Let me know if you are looking for a specific type of image.

- Marika

Can I recommend that you look at the story of RAMC Lt Colonel Thomas McCulloch who was the senior surgeon at the hospital who died soon after getting news that his son was killed in Ypres. His grave is in the cemetery though he did not die there. His son is mentioned on his grave.

I suspect he died of a combination of a broken heart and overwork.

Member Swizz and her father produced an article on a casualty buried at Netley. I may still have a copy at home, but if you contact her I am sure she will send you a copy. I also have an interesting photo from a WWII headstone there. Iif you send me a pm with an email address.

Keith

Thank you to everyone who has sent me details for my research about the Cemetery. I have just noticed that there is a walk on Sunday 10th October at 2pm around the Cemetery. Meet at Mount Pleasant Recreation car park, adj. Hamble Primary School, £2 per person. Sorry for short notice - only just found it in the local "Scene" magazine - don't know who is doing the talk.

Julie