Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sgt Major John Madden Gorden Highlanders

hrebing

Having completed my research on my G Uncle in the Seaforth Highlanders.I am now trying to do some research regarding my other G.Uncle who was a Sgt. Major in the Gordon Highlanders.I have no idea in regards to his Bat or Reg etc.I do know he remained in the service long after the war... so i do not know if his rank is after the war or during.All I have is a couple of old photos.Anyone with familiarity of the Gordon's....any help to start me off would be appreciated.

post-9504-001407400 1284190860.jpg

There are two possibles in the MIC's -

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/search-results.asp?searchtype=browserefine&query=first_name%3djohn%7clast_name%3dmadden%7ccorpname%3dgordon&catid=10&pagenumber=1&querytype=1&mediaarray=*

with

Medal card of Madden, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Gordon Highlanders 10537 Warrant Officer Class 2

Date 1914-1920

being the most likely given the rank.

John

Medal card of Madden, John

Corps Regiment No Rank

Gordon Highlanders 10537 Warrant Officer Class 2

If this is your man he saw service with 8/10th Bn. He was entitled to BW and V Medals so entered theatre after 31/12/1915.

http://www.1914-1918.net/gordon.htm

John

In the 1st photo he's wearing trousers rather than a kilt (the Gordons were a kilted regiment), and he's probably a Private, and the cap badge doesn't look like Gordons (more like Royal Scots, though it's very hard to tell).

Are you sure it's him? If so, then it looks like he might have served as a Private in a different regiment before the Gordons.

Edit; the man in the first photo also has, what looks like, a curved infantry shoulder title, and he also has crossed flags on his cuff indicating that he was a signaller (therefore unlikely to be a Sgt-Maj, or at least not at that stage). The fact that he's wearing trousers is interesting, because he's also wearing the 'cut away' style of battledress worn by kilted regiments (the lower ends of the front panels of the battledress tunic are cut in a curve, rather than being cut straight).

In the 1st photo he's wearing trousers rather than a kilt (the Gordons were a kilted regiment), and he's probably a Private, and the cap badge doesn't look like Gordons (more like Royal Scots, though it's very hard to tell).

Are you sure it's him? If so, then it looks like he might have served as a Private in a different regiment before the Gordons.

Edit; the man in the first photo also has, what looks like, a curved infantry shoulder title, and he also has crossed flags on his cuff indicating that he was a signaller (therefore unlikely to be a Sgt-Maj, or at least not at that stage). The fact that he's wearing trousers is interesting, because he's also wearing the 'cut away' style of battledress worn by kilted regiments (the lower ends of the front panels of the battledress tunic are cut in a curve, rather than being cut straight).

The soldier in the 2nd photo with the dark uniform looks like a "Blue Patrol Jacket" this was walking out dress for Soldiers, tartan trews, Brogues and Glencarry carrying a small cane.I am sure that the regular soldier had them during the Great War

Joe

You may be right....could this maybe be my Great grandfather then? He was in the Royal scots. I have a couple of pics of him.All i know about my G Grandfather was he lied about his age and joined up at age 16.He was very small in stature and was in a "banttam" sic? unit....I do have his medal card and will have to see....now that i compare the pics it does look like my G Grandfather William Walker Madden.....

post-9504-019681700 1284247303.jpg

post-9504-033219700 1284247329.jpg

post-9504-017050800 1284247352.jpeg

Has your Family any association with the Royal Scots recruiting area,eg Edinburgh and its confines?

The Forum is aware of a Royal Scot,who legitimately went to War,in 1914,as a Bugler,aged 14.

I am sure the researchers of the Royal Scots Battalions,in WW1,will identify its Bantam Battalion,if it was formed.

For serious research look for a Medal Index Card that may relate to your Great-Grandfather, Great-Uncle,or else approach the British Ministry of Defence,to release his service papers,to you,as his Great-Grandson/Nephew,for your answer, if you are certain either was a career soldier post WW1.

George