Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Looking for thomas herbet collins

methven 2nd bat middlesex

Hi I dont know if any one can help me Im looking for Thomas herbert Collins he was from wycombe in buckinghamshire and was in ww1

I know he lost a leg in the war, beffore he signed up he was a car man.

His birth was 1882.

I have looked through ancestry for hours at all the thomas collins but with no luckHis wife was Elizabeth collins

Can some one give me some ideas where to look next

Many thanks in advance

Tracy

Hi Tracy

I don't know if you have more info. on Thomas Collins but there is a Thomas Collins who was a Barman when he signed up, you have posted "Carman", he was born 1881 and joined the Middlesex Regt. Saw service in S.Africa 1901 and later rejoined and was wounded in WW1. His service number is L/5934

and there are 6 pages on Ancestry Pensions page 54 of 141 refers. His MIC is under the name Valentine Edward Ellis same number. There is a statutory declaration on the records where he declares his correct name to be Valentine Edward Ellis and not Thomas Collins which he signed up as. How do you know his wife was Elizabeth? This chaps is Isabel, 3 kids on record. Over to you! If it's not him at least it may solve a problem for someone else.

Regards Barry

Hi Tracy,

I don't want to throw more into the mix, but this is all I can find on the 1911 census:-

Name Herbert Collins

Relationship to Head of Household Head

Condition / Years Married Married

Total Children Born Alive 2

Children Still Living 2

Gender M

Age 28

Estimated Year of Birth 1883

Occupation Carman

Employed Y

Working at Home N

Industry Carrier

Place of Birth Flackwell Heath Lt Marlow

and this is his wife:

Name Elizabeth Collins

Relationship to Head of Household Wife

Condition / Years Married Married / 4 Years

Gender F

Age 26

Estimated Year of Birth 1885

Employed N

Working at Home N

Place of Birth Flackwell Heath High Wycombe

Is this your man and, if so, could he have signed up as Herbert?

Hi Tracy

I don't know if you have more info. on Thomas Collins but there is a Thomas Collins who was a Barman when he signed up, you have posted "Carman", he was born 1881 and joined the Middlesex Regt. Saw service in S.Africa 1901 and later rejoined and was wounded in WW1. His service number is L/5934

and there are 6 pages on Ancestry Pensions page 54 of 141 refers. His MIC is under the name Valentine Edward Ellis same number. There is a statutory declaration on the records where he declares his correct name to be Valentine Edward Ellis and not Thomas Collins which he signed up as. How do you know his wife was Elizabeth? This chaps is Isabel, 3 kids on record. Over to you! If it's not him at least it may solve a problem for someone else.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry yes that is him his father was a publican and thomas was a car men so it all fits thanks so much im going to look now

Thanks again Tracy

Hi Barry yes that is him his father was a publican and thomas was a car men so it all fits thanks so much im going to look now

Thanks again Tracy

Barry his wife was elizabeth he did have 3 children (twin boys and one girl)

Tracy

Thanks again Tracy

Barry his wife was elizabeth he did have 3 children (twin boys and one girl)

Tracy

Hi Barry this is not my man His children are the wrong names , thanks for the info though interesting read

But not my man

Tracy

Hi Tracy,

I don't want to throw more into the mix, but this is all I can find on the 1911 census:-

Name Herbert Collins

Relationship to Head of Household Head

Condition / Years Married Married

Total Children Born Alive 2

Children Still Living 2

Gender M

Age 28

Estimated Year of Birth 1883

Occupation Carman

Employed Y

Working at Home N

Industry Carrier

Place of Birth Flackwell Heath Lt Marlow

and this is his wife:

Name Elizabeth Collins

Relationship to Head of Household Wife

Condition / Years Married Married / 4 Years

Gender F

Age 26

Estimated Year of Birth 1885

Employed N

Working at Home N

Place of Birth Flackwell Heath High Wycombe

Is this your man and, if so, could he have signed up as Herbert?

This is my man

with his wife and twin boys

Tracy

• Admin

Can some one give me some ideas where to look next

Hi you could try local newspapers, perhaps start with an obituary if you know his date of death. They also published casualty lists, and early on often listed those who volunteered.

If available look at the AVL http://www.1914-1918...grandad/avl.htm

If still local your library or local record office will help.

You can also check the mics, for example Gnr 81466 has the SWB, (artillery horses carman?) you could eliminate the obvious might give you a short list for further research, but no guarantees and you still couldn't be sure without corroboration.

Marriage and Birth Certificates around the relevant times may give his unit.

Ken

Unfortunately, there's a lot of MICs to Herbert Collins too. Can't see any service papers for him - the only set for that exact name is for a scaffolder living in the Islington district. So probably not helped much!