Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

possible non com

wulsten

Can anyone find this chap or would this chap be worth researching Harry Yeomans, i have also got newspaper captions and obits from the period, registered death, newcastle under lyme on my local memorial also

post-9296-074537500 1283889196.jpg

He certainly looks like a good case.

However, you have to be aware that headstone inscriptions do not always give the full story. I have looked into cases where the inscription 'died of wounds' turned out to be less than the truth so a little caution is always advised until you have solid evidence.

Just for info, newspaper report, Pte H Yeomans son of 53 watlands ave, have been informed their son has been wounded in the head on November the 9th near Ypres, he is now lying in the Merchants mobile hospital France, he is 20 years of age and enlisted Nov 2 1914

Further report Jan 8th 1916, Pte H Yeomans 1382 12 / Royal Fusiliers of 53 watlands ave porthill has died 21 Dec 1915 from wounds received in action on November 9th, interred at St Margarets, he was 20 years of age.

Geoff

FreeBMD lists a 19 year old man of this name dying in the right period at Colchester. Must be him.

The next step is to get the death certificate. If we can evidence that he was still serving at the time of death, then commemoration is guaranteed. If his death was post discharge, then the cause of death must be related to service.

Let me have a quick word with Terry about getting the certificate. I think there is sufficient evidence here to suggest that the death must have been "in service" and, therefore, it can fall within IFCP's remit to pay for the cert.

John

Talked with Terry - he agrees this is a runner. IFCP will get the death certificate, see what's what and, presuming wulsten has no objection, will submit it on his behalf if the evidence supports it.

Of course, wulsten gets the "finders credit".

John

John, many thanks for taking this on, im also working on an Abraham Bancroft, have purchased death cert and need to check some other details will contact when completed, Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

Harry Yeomans' death certificate confirms all the above information except it gives his age as 19.

His case will go forward now as a serving soldier at death.

Can you confirm the location of his grave, please.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Wulsten

we need the location of the grave please

Chris

Now is that Colchester or Newcastle Under Lyme?

CGM

thanks very much

Chris