Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WWI Summary Books

andigger

I am looking through a couple of books that seem to offer an overview of the entire war. I already have read Keegan's First World War, and like his approach and enjoy the book for the purpose it serves.

Just curious what the Pals think of these other books, and if it is worth buying them since I already have Keegan's. Thanks, Andy

World War One by SLA Marshall

The First World War by Martin Gilbert

The FIrst World War by by Hew Strachan

Really.... no one has anything to say about these authors or books?? I thought everyone had an opinion, I just had to ask for it. :lol:

Have you thought about adding AJP Taiylor's The First World War, An Illustrated Histoy to your list. This was the first 'overview' of the war that I read and I would still recomend it as a good concise history.

Brum

Watch out for '1914-1918 The History of The First World War' by David Stevenson out in October.

I have a proof copy on my desk right now and it looks quite a tome. Once I get round to it (amongst all the others) I'll put a quick review in.

Ryan

Hi Andy,

I'm about 350 pages in Strachen's Firts World War Volume I and am thoroughly enjoying it. Can't recommend it enough.

Take care,

Neil

I started my WW1 'life' with A J P Taylor and would recommend it as the first read.

• 2 weeks later...

Can't beat Trevor Wilson's Myriad Faces of War. For a fairly slim volume I recommend Britain and the Great War by JM Bourne. I think Jay Winter's The Experience of World War One is quite good also. I remember reading that as an A Level student and a friend commenting, 'Big book just to say b****y awful!'. Perhaps a touch unfair...

Guest Steve Seaman

The First World War by HP WILLMOTT. Published by Dorling Kingsley.

I bought this for my sons 13th birthday, it is in the typical DK format with lots of Timelines photograhs and maps.

I would recommend this to both secondary school pupils and adults as a first read.

Well worth £25.

Steve

• 8 months later...
Watch out for '1914-1918 The History of The First World War' by David Stevenson out in October.

I have a proof copy on my desk right now and it looks quite a tome.  Once I get round to it (amongst all the others) I'll put a quick review in.

Ryan

Ryan - any chance of your review? I've just been given a copy as a retirement present, and would be interested to read what anyone thinks (doesn't have to be TES length!)

Thanks

Graham

Hew Strachan's single volume First World War which accompanied the Channel 4 TV series is the best general history of the war I've read; he doesn't just tap the usual sources, and there are good overviews of the Eastern Front and Middle Eastern theatre.