Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap and Collar Badge ID

KONDOA

Dear Roop

I can see why Mike thinks its RE; the badge appears to be a wreath. But actually, if you look carefully, its the points of a star. And the collars also look like a star. If it's not RASC, then it might be ASC (Army Service Corps), as it doesn't look like one of the several infantry 'star-based' badges of the period.

Cheers

Peter

Roop

ASC was my initial thought and I see no reason to change that now.

I can't find any SYMMS associated with the Army Service Corps that would possibly fit but I did find a SYMES who could be a possible.

There is a "Symes, Temp. Lt. A. R. (M.T.). " Mentioned In one of J. L. Van Deventer's Despatches in the Army Service Corps section, link...http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30560/supplements/2889 who may fit the bill.

I can't find a MIC, apart from the one for the MID, for him so I assume he didn't apply for his medals. The WO338 index lists him as Arthur Richard(s) SYMES 2/Lt Army Service Corps but it appears that he had further service after the war in some capacity so his file won't be at NA, Kew.

Can't see how to progress this one further but maybe someone can look him up in the Army List to see what that says?

All the best.

Steve

Steve,

That is a possible spelling, I am having several names from my source that all seem to be derivitives of the real spelling.

The reference you note is very interesting. The picture was taken aboard the HMT Huntsgreen in Feb 16 as noted above. Aboard that ship was No 1 (Willoughby's) Armoured Motor Battery (322 Company ASC), plus various ASC associated with the artillery aboard. Looks like you have come up trumps.

Many Thanks.

Roop