Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench Map Help Needed

mcderms

Do any of the Pals have access to Somme 1:10,000 trench maps? I am looking for Frankfurt & Munich trenches and the Leipzig Redoubt. I have Chasseauds book but cannot make out the details clearly enough.

Munich and Frankfurt trenches are on Redan Ridge, 500 and 600 yards NE of Beaumont Hamel. They ran more or less North/South with Munich to the west of Frankfurt trench.

Leipzig Redoubt is south of Thiepval and projected SW towards Authuille Wood to the west of Nab (Blighty) Valley. A path from the Thiepval Memorial runs SSW straight through the middle of it. The redoubt was just before the path crosses the Authuille to Ovillers La Boisselle road.

Munich and Frankfurt trenches (top centre of scan)...

post-4-1086811889.jpg

...the Liepzig Redoubt ...

Dave.

post-4-1086811968.jpg

Isn't this what became known as Chateau Redoubt? Leipzig Salient (as it was normally called, unless we are talking about somewhere else completely) is a couple of hundred metres off the bottom of the map.

PS Nice maps by the way. Where did you get them?

Unless I am mistaken, the maps are from http://www.great-war-trench-maps.com/

Robert

Robert.

Yes, you are mistaken (though the bottom one could very well appear on the CD, the top one is actually a "blow up" from a 1:20,000 map). They're actually from a collection that a mate of mine and myself have accrued over the past 15 years or so.

Dave. :)

The map below, may be of help also, It is take from the small booklet published by the Das 10.Wurtt Infanterie Regt No.180 "In Der Somme-Schlacht". It shows the various Company positions in the area of the Leipzig Redoubt.

Terry

post-4-1086891062.jpg

Isn't this what became known as Chateau Redoubt? Leipzig Salient (as it was normally called, unless we are talking about somewhere else completely) is a couple of hundred metres off the bottom of the map.

Whoops! :rolleyes:

Here we are - the Liepzig Redoubt , or (later) Granatenloch (this time it is taken from the CD).

(Centre of scan)

Dave.

post-4-1086904642.jpg

Many thanks for the maps guys! Does anyonehave any details/pics of how the Granatloch was fortified in 1916? The HLI crept to within 30 yds of the wire and stormed the place on 1/7/16 so I am interested to know what they managed to take.