Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge ID = help please

battiscombe

can anyone identify this cap badge worn by a RGA officer cadet .. June 1918-ish .. the man had 3 overseas chevrons. I presumed some unit from from Dominions.. but.. many thanks (cant do much better on the scan quality I am afraid..)

post-7621-045563800 1283617486.jpg

Very similar to the School of Musketry.

P

Not sure but the School of Musketry does not have a scroll underneath, this one's ruled out for me I think.

Hi,looks as if it`s The South African Heavy Artillery.

Gary.

Yep, looks like a good bet. It seems to be a gazelle's head over crossed barrels--which I think is South African.

Robert

I'd agree with Gary: SA Heavy Artillery.

Definately an SA Heavy Artillery badge.

No comments regarding previous threads....surprised!

Apologies for my remark, not my normal approach, just a little surprised by your comment on another thread regarding cap badge ID. I would expect a little more from someone of your standing.

This is very distinct image of a pretty unique badge. Diagnostic quality.

I would expect a little more from someone of your standing.

My standing?!

I had to lie down for a long time after all the shenanigans on that last thread. My head was hurting too much.........

Edit; ...and I just re-read this post and, yes, I DO realise that something is either unique or not unique. It can't be 'pretty unique'. Just before someone tries to point that out.......

thanks for all the comments - this is a dated photo postcard of 1 Cadet School RGA group - posted 1 June 1918.. the badge looks to be something like an impala/gazelle head over rifles.. but i couldnt find a picture of such a badge online.. confusingly (and for other reasons), I had suspected another man in the group photo could have been a Cape Garrison Artillery man .. Walter Arthur Cannell (commissioned 17/6/1918)

thanks all

david

Nice work

This is very distinct image of a pretty unique badge. Diagnostic quality.

My standing?!

I had to lie down for a long time after all the shenanigans on that last thread. My head was hurting too much.........

Edit; ...and I just re-read this post and, yes, I DO realise that something is either unique or not unique. It can't be 'pretty unique'. Just before someone tries to point that out.......

It can't be 'pretty unique'. Just before someone tries to point that out.......

Tcha! I'd assumed you'd missed out the comma, as in "...a pretty, unique badge".

It is unique, and it is attractive. QED. :thumbsup:

Pedantically, no. "Pretty attractive" sounds better without the comma. :innocent:

Personally, I'd always go for the 14th London, but I'm probably biased.