Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Missing from CWGC

Wesley Wright

ARGUS

1,238 gross ton collier which left Lerwick for Tromso on 20th Oct. 1917 and went missing with a cargo of coal and coke...presumed mined in the North Sea, but SS ARGUS may have been lost at sea after a collision in fog with the "SS SORAKAI", but Miramar has no ship by that name.

I HAVE been trying to find out more about this ship as 3 men from my local area perished with her. I was led to believe that the ship was not lost due to enemy action so therefore men not entitled to be on CWGC.

Recently have found out the following men from SS"Argus" are on CWGC.

COOPER, Henry Arthur Master MM SS Argus 21.10.17

ELLIS, Charles, Leading Seaman, RNVR, Sussex 3/224, Argus, steamship, 21 October 1917, collision

WINGARD, Frederick H, Able Seaman, RNVR, Sussex 3/104, Argus, steamship, 21 October 1917, collision

These are the only men I can find from SS"Argus" on Cwgc database.

Robert Bodles+William J.Wilson+James McConnel--all from East Antrim-Northern Ireland--I cannot find any of these 3 men on CWGC.

Can anyone help? OR is this a case for the INFC PROJECT??

This man was also lost on Argus Chief Engineer D.J. Richard(s)--Glamorgan

S.S. "Argus"

Wesley Wright

Hi Wesley. I don't know much about it, but there's an old thread on it HERE

Mike

Thanks-- i received information from that thread.

Decided this was the section to raise this query.

Thanks again

Wesley

Hi,

It looks like this was a maritime accident not war related so the merchant seamen lost would not qualify for commemoration.

The two naval casualties however do qualify having died while serving.

Presumably the master although MM, qualified as he was their CO.

Best of luck with your quest hopefully it will bring more information to light on the loss of the Argus.

Cheers, Terry

Hi,

It looks like this was a maritime accident not war related so the merchant seamen lost would not qualify for commemoration.

The two naval casualties however do qualify having died while serving.

Presumably the master although MM, qualified as he was their CO.

Best of luck with your quest hopefully it will bring more information to light on the loss of the Argus.

Cheers, Terry

I can understand the two naval casualties qualifying, but not the remainder of the crew espicially when the Master is commemorated.

Wesley Wright

I notice the two RNVR MEN lost on SS"Argus" have both Sussex as service number. What does this mean??

Wesley Wright

WINGARD, FREDERICK HERBERTInitials:F HNationality:United KingdomRank:Able SeamanRegiment/Service:Royal Naval Volunteer ReserveUnit Text:S.S. "Argus."Date of Death:21/10/1917Service No:Sussex 3/104Casualty Type:Commonwealth War DeadGrave/Memorial Reference:28.Memorial:PORTSMOUTH NAVAL MEMORIAL

I am sure this has been raised before--where can Death certificates be obtained for those merchant navy men who where lost at sea and their bodies never recovered.?

Thanks everyone who has already helped.

Wesley Wright

• 3 weeks later...

Wesley

these can be found at the GRO, but you will need someone with a Find My Past membership to look up the DC ref for you

Chris

From the Times of 21 Feb 1918

post-4020-012553400 1285624371.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anyone ever found during research were the Master of the ship is commemorated on CWGC but none of the crew.????

Wesley Wright