Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Rovers Remember

Yvonne H

I've received a photograph:

4944990004_979e5ee112_o.jpg

and i'm not getting very far in searching and writing an article on the dutch/flemish website

http://www.forumeerstewereldoorlog.nl/viewtopic.php?t=23127

Can you help me out?

Or give me hints where to look.

Why so many double names, brothers, family?

Blackburn, are they from a Pals battalion?

And if so, do you have a name?

I hope you can provide me with some information.

Regards,

Yvonne

• Admin

Looks like a church memorial I found this

Hollin Bank Mission

(Christ Church), Kirby Road, (12 John Thomas Street) opened 17th March 1893 and enlarged by the addition of two cottages on March 1st 1894 and three years later. Closed at last service 2nd November 2003.

Michelle

They`re not from a Pals` Bn, Yvonne - Blackburn didn`t have one. A number served with the Accrington Pals and the 1/4th East Lancs was a local TF Bn. Those names on the panels will all be men from the parish who served but they could have been in any part of the Army, Navy or RFC/RAF. The men named in the left and right hand panels were clearly all killed or died. The centre panel I can`t read but it will be either all men who served or all who were killed or died.

As regards double names, people had large families in those days so certain surnames were common in towns like Blackburn.

As it said in the link in the original post, the memorials are from Ewood Park, Blackburn Rovers' stadium. One comes from Hollin Bank Mission; the others are from St Bartholomew's Church. They commemorate people from the Ewood area of Blackburn who died in WWI, and were moved to the stadium when the church was demolished in 2003.

Click here for the story from Rovers' website

Hi,

Looks to me to be a Scouting Service project. The most senior branch is Rover, and their motto is Service. Maybe check with a local group, maybe they can provide more details.

Cheers,

Ken

Phil,

Sorry missed that, not being local it hadn't occurred to me that it could a sports club.

Ken