Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Battery Serjenat Major 1918? RFA - what medals?

battiscombe

an image of a RFA Battery Sgt Major, 3 overseas chevrons, probably 1918-19? what medal ribbons might these be ?? ... another man in photo looks to have a 1914 star ribbon, otherwise an MM visible and the ribbon on a 2Lt in the previous post - men still wearing shoulder badges .. any suggestions welcome ..

davidpost-7621-055795300 1283287980.jpg

many thanks for the prompt reply .. i think that is where I had got to.. I can't see any other possibilities .. and perhaps a small step towards working out who he is ..

david

Agreed - and the position of the MSM ribbon dates it to before (I think) 1922 where it would go in front of the LSGC. The absence of campaign medals, but white edges to the LSGC [introduced after the unified crimson VC ribbon in 1918] , seem to narrow this picture to some time in 1918 (unless he did not serve overseas).

seem to narrow this picture to some time in 1918 (unless he did not serve overseas).

Yes, got to be 1918 or early '19 (and he did serve o/s; he has 3 o/s chevrons according to David).

Edit; I'm trying to remember whether the position of the MSM ribbon also says anything about it being an immediate award or not. Any ideas?

The position of the MSM bears no relation to its reason for award [ie;Immediate,Gallantry or Meritorious Service with Pension] the position was changed after the end of WW1 to follow the LSGC Medal in order of precedence.

Equally (as a by-the-by) the Meritorious Service Medal does NOT bring with it the right to use post-nominal letters; so 'MSM' after the name, awarded for any reason, is strictly unofficial.

When was the MSM changed back to be in presendence to the LSGC.

John