Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Iron Cross 1st class

Khaki

What was the correct manner for wearing the Iron Cross 1st class? did it vary according to personal taste, German state or regimental orders? I have seen it worn high and low on the uniform.

khaki

Hello Khaki,

The Iron Cross 1st Class was worn centred on the lower left breast - attached by a pin-type clasp or lugs/loops for stitching on. Since it was required to be worn at all times, recipients frequently purchased official copies to wear, many of which had a more secure screw-type fixing.

The award took priority over any other awards worn in the same place, apart from those with diamonds. If the recipient had been awarded a Spange in place of the actual 1939 Cross, the Spange would be worn together with the original 1914 Cross, both being on the lower left breast, with the Spange immediately above.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Peter.

Thanks Peter,

I guess that the photo's that I have seen with the EK1 high on the left side, although unofficial, may have been more practical "in the field" such as when hitting the ground, the medal would be less likely to be damaged or torn off.

regards

khaki

In this photo which I was given by Ernst Junger in 1995, the EKI is worn about as low on the left breast pocket of the tunic as it can be. Junger, of course, was the combat soldier par excellence, but as this photo indicates, whatever the preferred position for wear in combat, fashionably low was the option when in formal dress for this Frontkämpfer.

Junger1920.jpg

[photo copyright G. A. Webster collection, not to be reproduced without permission]

George

Thanks Peter,

I guess that the photo's that I have seen with the EK1 high on the left side, although unofficial, may have been more practical "in the field" such as when hitting the ground, the medal would be less likely to be damaged or torn off.

regards

khaki

Khaki,

I'd guess so - not the most practical thing to have to wear in the field!

------------------------------------

George,

Cracking photo - may we ask about the story behind it (it being a gift from the man himself)?:)

Cheers,

PJ

Hi Peter, I came by the photo from Junger as follows.

I'd long had it in the back of my mind to replace my paperback copy of The Storm of Steel with a hardback edition (I'm talking here of the classic translation by Basil Creighton, not the infelicitous later travesty by Michael Hofmann). Anyway, nothing crossed my path until late 1994, when I came across a copy of the newly-published facsimile reprint in hardback of Creighton's 1929 translation. This had an Introduction by Paddy Griffith, which noted, inter alia, of Junger that "by some miracle he is still alive today, at the moment of going to press." So, at the start of 1995, I parcelled the book up and posted it off to Junger, with return p&p enclosed, and a request that he personally inscribe it to me and sign it. The book came back by return duly inscribed and signed, with all the labelling on the parcel etc done in Junger's then 99-year-old but still firm hand. By that time Junger's 100th birthday was approaching (March 29 1995). I decided to send him for his 100th birthday a fine late-Victorian leather-bound two volume set of books on British beetles, with hand-tinted colour illustrations, which had belonged to my grandfather, who had fought in the Great War. I inscribed the flyleaf of volume one to Junger as a German soldier of the Great War, from the grandson of a British soldier of that war. With his letter of thanks was enclosed the signed photo shown in my last post. Interestingly Junger makes a point of dating it to 1920. In Thomas Nevin's 1997 biography of Junger, Ernst Junger and Germany Into the Abyss 1914-1945, Nevin reproduces the same photo which Junger inscribed to him, but Junger hasn't added a date to his signature on Nevin's copy and Nevin's caption dates the picture to 1919.

Junger lived on until February 1998, just a month short of his 103 birthday, and I'm very pleased now that I took the eleventh hour opportunity to send my copy of his book to him for signing.

George

George,

Absolutley fantastic - you must have been thrilled to bits to receive those treasures. Well done you, and thanks for taking the time to share such a fascinating experience.

All the best, pal.

Peter.

Regarding Junger I wrote to the museum dedicated to him after his death regarding his career during the WWI. They kindly forwarded a modern picture of his Pour le Merite.

Regarding the Iron Cross 1st class I can't give a definitive answer but from the pictures it looks probably both like a matter of fashion and/or convenience.

Allow me a few days to find it (I'm moving in another house for the moment. Quiet a mess for the moment :blush: )

Good luck with that, Berelo. Few things are quite as stressful as moving house! :D

Look forward to the picture, as and when.

Cheers,

I too look forward to seeing Berelo's pic of Junger's Pour le Merite. After his death, Junger's house at Stauffenbergstrasse 11, in Wilflingen near Ulm, was preserved as he left it as a museum. Those interested in Junger memorabilia might like to look at the pics I posted a few years ago of the stahlhelm which saved Juger's life on the Western Front, and which he kept for the rest of his life. He sat it on top of a bookcase alongside the helmet which he'd taken as a trophy from a dead British officer:

Junger's Helmets

George

Hi guys,

I don't forget you. I'm still in the process of moving but already found the picture and will try to post it as soon as possible !