Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RATC CD HSC E Company

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

263862 Pte. John Walden Read is listed on the Anstey AVL as being with the RATC, CD HSC E Company. I've been thinking along the lines of Royal Artillery Training Centre/Camp, but would appreciate any help with this. There are 3 pages of service records for John on Ancestry which show that he attested on the 17th August 1915 with the Leicesters. I've tried to crop the top from his Short Service form which might help with what he was involved in.

JohnWaldenReadAttestation-1.jpg

Best regards. Llew.

Hello Ivor,

Thanks for that, after taking a closer look at the short service form I would have to agree that it is 490 HSE Coy. Would you have any idea on what the RATC part might stand for?

Regards. Llew.

Back in the 60's and 70's, Peter Simple's column in the Daily Telegraph had a spoof "Royal Army Tailoring Corps".... I think we can discount that one.

Edwin

There are 3 pages of service records for John on Ancestry

A lot more than 3 pages! Especially if you work backwards from the first page Ancestry gives you (image #19688).

Images 19670 to 19698 all appear to refer to your man, and pages around 19680-85 will show you all his postings.

He served in Leics Rgt, Nrth Fusiliers, Training Reserve and several units of the Labour Corps and RDC, but never went overseas.

Adrian

Thanks Edwin, I'll cross that option off:whistle: .

Adrian,

Thanks for the reminder about going backwards on Ancestry, I can remember doing it with one of the other sets of records, obviously not for Mr Read, but I'll back track now and update the file.

Regards to you both.

Llew.