Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Zeppelin-Staaken 'Giants'

auchonvillerssomme

Can anyone give me any ideas on reading material about these aircraft, the Zeppelin-Staaken, plenty on The Zeppelins but not much about these aircraft. Having been reading 'Fire over England' and a look at wiki, I see a picture of one of the 'Giant's' and find it incredible that such an aircraft existed at that time, without more references to it.

Mick

Mick

I think that the best book on the subject of the German R-types is The German Giants by G W Haddow & Peter M Grosz. My copy was printed in 1969, but I think that there were later editions.

Cheers

Gareth

Gareth, thanks, if the title is anything to go by then thats what I need.

Mick

• 3 years later...

Cheers Egbert, what a superb piece of film :thumbsup:

Regards,

Sean.

Superb footage!

The book mentioned by Gareth is the best on the subject - but is also pretty hard to find.

While I don't pretend for one moment that my book, London 1917-18: The Bomber Blitz, can offer the technical detail you are looking for, it does detail the raids on London undertaken by the 'Giants' and includes photos of Giants R.33, R.12, R.39 and R.25.

Regards

Ian

Much depends on what you are interested in - is it the R planes in the attacks on Britain? or R planes in general? Zeppelin-Staaken R planes in action? Or all Zeppelin-Staaken R planes? There were some very interesting R plane prototypes and designs that didn't see action and some that did and they were not all Zeppelin-Staaken and not all over Britain.

'The First Blitz' is also superb too, concentrating on the Gotha and Zeppelin Staaken raids

For example 2 interesting R planes that were not Zeppelin-Staaken - Linke Hoffeman and Siemens The first a prototype only but the 2nd did see action on the Eastern front.

post-9885-0-84131300-1378149210_thumb.jp

post-9885-0-26256700-1378149280_thumb.jp