Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unknown soldier's cap badge

Broadwayj

I'm trying to discover what happened to my grandmother's brother who 'ran away' to join the army just before the first world war. To complicate matters we believe he managed to join up using a false name. We do have a picture of him that he sent back to the UK whilst he was serving in Eqypt, and we believe he may possibly have been a military bandsman. Can anyone identify his cap badge shown in the two photographs? Not very clear, but perhaps someone might recognise it. If we can find which regiment he was with that might possibly help us track down his history. Many thanks.

post-58285-069306700 1283160142.jpg post-58285-075109600 1283160159.jpg

Isn't that the Middlesex

I'd say so.

Looks like Middlesex, 2/7th & 2/8th were in Egypt from Aug 1915 to May 1916.

• Admin

Certainly looks like it to me.

Michelle

Hi Harry and Rob,

Yes, I'd go along with that, definitely Middlesex Regiment. The only battalions of the Middlesex who were in Egypt during WW1 were the 2/7th, 2/8th and 2/10th Bns., that is according to Gould's 'Locations'. I know that it is not much to go on but it may be a start.

If you have his name or 'alias' then the WW1 Card Index is your next port of call.

Hope this helps, Robert

Thank you all for responding - very much appreciated. Unfortunately I don't have his alias, but you've all given me a very good starting point.

Harry.

picture looks postwar to me: collar badges very unusual in the war ..... there are well-documented exceptions but do not include Middx.

Tailored trouser bottoms also suggest post-war

By no means conclusive, but he seems also to be wearing shoulder titles without any "T" designation, so that might make Grumpy's suggestion more likely. I'd agree that it's post-war.

Thanks again for everyone's input. Does anyone think that his belt gives any clues. We've always thought he was a bandsman because of what we've been told - but it suddently occured to me that he might be a military policeman having that white belt? And certainly the photograph could have been sent shortly after the war.

Harry.