Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sherwood Foresters 17th Bn

atterby

HI

My name is Kathy and I am trying to find out some information for my father, (he was named after his Uncle George who died in the Great War )- but I find it all rather confusing and do not understand about batallions and divisions etc!, the only information I have is that Private George Atterby 28281 enlisted on 24.07.15 (he was in the 17th Bn Sherwood Forester (Notts and Derby Rgt) and was killed in action on 20.09.17 at St. Julien - and is remembered on the Tyne Cot Memorial what I am trying to find out is what his Batallion was doing and where they had been before he got killed and any names of any of his comrades who died that day basically any other information I can - I have not been able to find out what the 17th Bn were doing or any mention of them - I do know that George was one of three brothers serving in the Great War - not sure of the others names but one lost his legs, they were the sons of Elizxabeth and Richard Atterby from Skegby Notts many thanks

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Your Great Uncle? George took part in, and was killed on the first day of "The Battle of the Menin Road Ridge", on 20th Sept 1917. The Battalion war diary contains the following report.

The Battalion moved up to Shrewsbury Forest Sector on the night of the 18th/19th and held the line with 3 companies in their battle positions, 1 company remained in Larch Wood and moved up the following night. Considerable casualties occured on the way up from shell fire. The position of deployment was successfully reconnoitred and taped out.

2.40am 20/9/17.

Assembly of battalion was complete and was carried out on tapes about 70 yards east of the ravine on a bearing of 220deg. No casualties occurred during this manouvre.

5.40am.

The advance commenced on our objective (the Red Line). The enemy's reply to our barrage was very prompt and he put a heavy barrage down in No Man's Land from which considerable casualties occurred.

Opposition was at first met with between Jules Farm and Bulgar Wood from enemy laying up in fortified shell holes. These were dealt with by our Lewis Gun fire. There was also considerable sniping from these positions and Jordan Trench.

The right front company were temporarily held up by strong opposition from dugouts at Welbeck Grange but these were dealt with, with rifle grenades and Lewis Gun fire and quickly overcome.

On our left the enemy put up a good deal of resistance from dugout on N.W. corner of Bulgar Wood. On rifle grenades and Lewis Gun fire being brought to bear on this point and with co operation of the centre company these dugouts were captured, prisoners being taken and many killed.

5.55am.

Support company reached their objective and consolidation started.

6.8am.

Assaulting companies reached their objective and the consolidation commenced on the Red Line.

During the advance of the 16th Sherwood Foresters from the red Line to the Blue it was noticed by our support company that small parties of the enemy were retiring and heavy Lewis Gun fire was able to be brought to bear on the ridge in front, over the heads of the advancing troops and it is believed several casualties were inflicted on the enemy by this fire also greatly assisting the advance.

Communication was established along the line with both battalions on our flanks, support company also reconnoitering positions forward.

At this period the enemy machine guns were very active from the right flank. Snipers were also very active from our left front, Chatsworth Castle and dugouts in the blue line, most of this fire was very erratic.

7.45am.

One platoon of support company was sent forward to reinforce right front company who had suffered considerable casualties.

During this period shelling over the whole area was intermitent.

11.15am.

The centre Company (C company) which was after the capture and consolidation of the Blue Line under the immediate call of the OC 16th battalion SFs, was ordered up by him into close support just in rear of the Blue Line where a position was taken up and consloidated.

5.10pm.

OC C company observed the enemy concentrating on the ridge and in sunken road between points 16, 64 and 60 and in trench between 08 and 05, he at once sent this information back to OC 16th battalion SF and then peronally advanced up with a Lewis Gun and opened fire on the enemy dispersing the enemy and inflicting heavy casualties. He estimated that at least 50 of them were hit. The artillery then opened and the dispersion was completed.

7.20pm.

Concentration of the enemy was again noticed at these points and SOS was sent up by 16th battalion SF. C Company at the same time being ordered to reinforce the front line. On the artillery opening the concentration was again dispersed and no further movement was seen at these points.

116 prisoners were taken including 1 officer.

JS Cassey, Major, 23/9/17

Casualties

The war diary reported the following casualties,

2 Officers Killed in Action,

1 Officer Died of Wounds

2 Officers Wounded

15 Other Ranks Killed in Action

5 Other Ranks Died of Wounds

128 Other Ranks Wounded

19 Other Ranks Missing

I hope this helps,

Richard

Hi Richard

Wow that is so very helpful Yes my great uncle - I have also become very interested in him since trying to hep my dad find out more about him and the more I read about what these men went through the more humble it makes me feel - what a debt we owe them all. - my dad will be thrilled to have the information - just to check then George was in the 17th Bn so is this the war diary of th e17th Bn? saw mention of 16th in the text - you see I get very confused with all this terminology!!! -

Thank you so much for your help

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Yes the information is from the War Diary of the 17th Bn the Welbeck Rangers. The 16th Bn Sherwood Foresters (Chatsworth Rifles) were in the same Brigade (117th Brigade) of the 39th Division and took part in the same attack at the same time.

The 17th Bn were the first ones over the top and were to take the first objective, the Red Line, and once they had captured it they were to consolidate it, ie make it defencable in case of a counter attack. The 16th battalion were in support of the 17th battalion and were to pass through the 17th in the Red Line and attack the next objective, the Blue Line.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer. By this time in the war it was very rare for individual soldiers to be mentioned in the Bn War Diary, usually only the officers were named.

Richard

Forgot to add the obvious, The Battle of the Menin Road Ridge lasted from the 20th to 25th of September 1917 and was part of the Third Battle of Ypres now known as Passchendaele.

Richard

Thanks for all that Richard and yes it does make things a lot clearer for me - its great to have the information to pass on to my Father, sadly George also had a sister Daisy who always wanted more information on her brother which my father was unable to get for her and she was the last surviving sibling and died only a few years ago without knowing what had happened to him.

Many thanks

Kathy

HI

My name is Kathy, I do know that George was one of three brothers serving in the Great War - not sure of the others names but one lost his legs, they were the sons of Elizxabeth and Richard Atterby from Skegby Notts many thanks

Kathy

Kathy, are any of these names related to your family they all served with the Sherwood Foresters except Richard all came from the Skegby area;

A.E. Atterby who worked for the Blackwell Colliery Company, not far from Skegby.

Arthur Atterby, born Mansfield, enlisted, Clipstone Camp, lived Skegby.

Thomas Wilfred, born Skegby, enlisted Sutton in Ashfield, lived Skegby.

Jonathan Atterby.

Richard Atterby, Dalestorth, Skegby, Notts.

Regards, BRONNO.

17th Bn Diary for 31st July also lists the complete casualty list for the day on four foolscap pages.

The following men died on the 20th with 17th

ANTHONY B 4787 17TH BN

ATTERBY G 28281 F COY 17TH BN

COOK CF 51950 17TH BN

COWIE C 41515 17TH BN

DEWING C 235069 17TH BN

FLINT AE 30611 17TH BN

GASCOIGNE E 32407 17TH BN

HOLBROOK JW 71565 17TH BN

HOLLOWAY G 42699 17TH BN

HOLMES W 40706 17TH BN

JEFFREY JA 76199 17TH BN

KNEEBONE JT 70459 17TH BN

MARRIOTT E 84373 17TH BN

MEARS F 51833 17TH BN

NEWTON G 26103 17TH BN

PERKINS F 13190 17TH BN

POTTER A 53403 C COY 17TH BN

PYE W 235177 17TH BN

RUDD JH 71587 17TH BN

SEED H - 17TH BN

SHERRIFF GH 70371 17TH BN

SHIPLEY E 50189 17TH BN

SHOOTER H 29775 17TH BN

TAYLOR EJ 268803 17TH BN

TOOKE JS 34878 17TH BN

WEALTHALL W 27567 17TH BN

WHITE A 87739 17TH BN

WOMBWELL G 71580 17TH BN

WRIGHT CW 235098 17TH BN

Aye

Malcolm

The A E Atterby mentioned by BRONNO above is in the Blackwell Colliery War Souvenir Book. This entry gives the same date of enlistment as George Atterby and the same date of death.

However, the CWG commission only show 3 Atterbys that died during the war, one who died in 1915, another who died at Gallipoli, both of these were in the Lincs Regt. The third one is George, with the correct number and date of death.

I suspect that the AE Atterby shown in the Blackwell book is really George.

Richard

Kathy, are any of these names related to your family they all served with the Sherwood Foresters except Richard all came from the Skegby area;

A.E. Atterby who worked for the Blackwell Colliery Company, not far from Skegby.

Arthur Atterby, born Mansfield, enlisted, Clipstone Camp, lived Skegby.

Thomas Wilfred, born Skegby, enlisted Sutton in Ashfield, lived Skegby.

Jonathan Atterby.

Richard Atterby, Dalestorth, Skegby, Notts.

Regards, BRONNO.

Hi

yes they are all related , Thomas was my dad's father I dont think he served in the first WW but he did in the second - George did have 2 other brothers who served in WW1 and on elost his legs but not sure of the names

Many thanks

Kathy

17th Bn Diary for 31st July also lists the complete casualty list for the day on four foolscap pages.

The following men died on the 20th with 17th

ANTHONY B 4787 17TH BN

ATTERBY G 28281 F COY 17TH BN

COOK CF 51950 17TH BN

COWIE C 41515 17TH BN

DEWING C 235069 17TH BN

FLINT AE 30611 17TH BN

GASCOIGNE E 32407 17TH BN

HOLBROOK JW 71565 17TH BN

HOLLOWAY G 42699 17TH BN

HOLMES W 40706 17TH BN

JEFFREY JA 76199 17TH BN

KNEEBONE JT 70459 17TH BN

MARRIOTT E 84373 17TH BN

MEARS F 51833 17TH BN

NEWTON G 26103 17TH BN

PERKINS F 13190 17TH BN

POTTER A 53403 C COY 17TH BN

PYE W 235177 17TH BN

RUDD JH 71587 17TH BN

SEED H - 17TH BN

SHERRIFF GH 70371 17TH BN

SHIPLEY E 50189 17TH BN

SHOOTER H 29775 17TH BN

TAYLOR EJ 268803 17TH BN

TOOKE JS 34878 17TH BN

WEALTHALL W 27567 17TH BN

WHITE A 87739 17TH BN

WOMBWELL G 71580 17TH BN

WRIGHT CW 235098 17TH BN

Aye

Malcolm

Thanks for this info Malcolm, I was hoping to find out about those who died the same day with him

Kathy