Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cavalry Charge in Monchy and the role of cavalry

joee86

Hi everyone,

I have read many posts about cavalry in the first world war, also reading the long trail website. However, I seem to be getting more confused about what they actually did.

I have just read a post from 2007, about the cavalry action in Monchy in 1917, in which the 10th Hussars fought. I have then read up on other websites about this. However, it reads mostly that the brigade 'advanced', I don't seem to be able to find anything about a full scale charge. Does any one have any links where I can read about it?

Also, I have also read about the role of divisional and individual cavalry units. I also understand that a lot of the units were reorgansied as infantry, the 10th Hussars however mostly kept their horses. But could anyone explain, day to day the role of units like the 10th Hussars. I have read Whitmore's book online, and even though it is a good read, it doesnt seem to create a clear image on what the men did.

Any info or links please.

Joe.

Joe, the role of the cavalry on the Western Front varied throughout the war. In summary:

1. Reconnaissance ahead of the main force of the BEF. This involved the bulk of each regiment moving as a large group, preceded patrols that sought out their German counterparts.

2. Entrenching positions in the Mons area while waiting for the infantry to arrive. Patrols were continued.

3. Regrouping once the infantry arrived and then moving across to the left flank of the BEF (except for 5th Brigade, which stayed on the right flank)

4. Fighting a series of rearguard actions as the BEF withdrew. Several charges, both large (Audregnies) and small took place during this phase as the German cavalry were often at the forefront of their advance in the BEF sector.

5. Resuming the advance with patrols followed by the larger formed bodies of cavalry during the German withdrawal to the Aisne. The cavaly frequenly engaged German rearguards, sometimes enemy cavalry or Jaeger. Some small scale charges were made during this time.

6. Mostly held in reserve during the Battle of the Aisne, then moved up to the Ypres area. Cavalry advanced to the in the usual manner until they came up against stiff German resistance. Mostly the German cavalry just fell back in front of them.

7. Cavalry defended on and around the Messines ridge. They operated in the dismounted role.

8. They were then withdrawn behind the lines but were rushed forward to fill gaps in the Second Battle of Ypres. The men fought dismounted in this battle.

9. Converted into infantry formations in late 1915 for a short while as mostly they were operating dismounted in the lines.

10. Reformed back into cavalry formations in 1916.

11. Played a limited role during the Battle of the Somme, occasionally getting forward in smaller units.

12. Operated with advanced guards during the German withdrawal to the Hindenburg Line in Spring 1917. Occasional small scale charges during this time.

13. Held in reserve for breakthrough in Battle of Arras. The incident at Monchy did not involve a charge but a fast gallop to get across the open ground and into the town. There the cavalry dismounted and fought like infantry.

14. Small units advanced on the first day of the Third Battle of Ypres but then fought dismounted if engaged by German defenses. No charges occurred and the cavalry role was minimal.

15. Attempted to breakthrough at Cambrai in late 1917 but German defenses were not completely overrun. Advancing cavalry formations came under fire and only a small number of cavalry got through. They were insufficient in number to break out. Later in the battle, the cavalry fought dismounted to help out the infantry.

16. Cavalry played important roles in helping plug gaps during the German offensive of March 1918. They moved quickly to problem areas then fought dismounted. A few charges took place.

17. Cavalry exploited the break-in during the Battle of Amiens. Several units passed through the infantry lines and engaged German rearguards. There were some charges.

18. Cavalry operated with advanced guards during the German withdrawals in the last 100 days. The numbers of cavalry were limited by problems with supply, as the distances from the BEF railheads grew. There were occasional small charges during this phase of the war.

Robert

Hello Joe,

If you would like to find out "what it was like to be there" I can highly recommend the book Tickled to Death to Go edited by Richard van Emden.

This book is the memoirs of Benjamin Clouting, a cavalryman who served in the 4th Dragoon Guards, and is full of details about the life of a trooper.

Regards

CGM

Joe, further to Robert's precis of the role of the cavalry in the Great War, you will find the subject expanded at great depth in Stephen Badsey's Doctrine and Reform in the British Cavalry 1880 - 1918 (Ashgate, 2008). As the title suggests, Badsey's book focuses on the reform of the British cavalry in the years prior to the Great War and its continued utility during that war. As John Bourne notes in his introduction, "Badsey's scholarship establishes the cavalry as a centre of professionalism and innovation with a clear understanding of the 'firepower revolution'. It will no longer be possible to airbrush the cavalry out of the operational history of the Great War or to use it as a prop to sustain discredited 'incompetence myths'." As Badsey concludes, "Too much cannot be claimed for the officers who developed British cavalry doctrine between 1880 and 1918, except that broadly they got it right when many got it wrong, and at a time when many errors were made in forming other military doctrines."

For more on the 10th Hussars at Monchy in particular, you could look at The 10th Royal Hussars by M. Brander (Leo Cooper, 1969) and Cheerful Sacrifice: The Battle of Arras 1917 by J. Nicholls (Barnsley 1990, reprinted Pen & Sword 2005).

George

There is some detail of the incident in Peter Barton's 'Arras', which also contains harrowing photos taken around that time

Regards

Martin