Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/4th Dorsets Egypt

joee86

Hi,

My experience in researching ancestors who served away from the western front is minimal.

My great grandfather served with the 2/4th Dorsets in Palestine. From what my grandmother tells me, Archibald Archer was buried alive when a tench collapsed on him. He was dug out, but had horrific stomach injuries with the doctor saying he would only live about 5 years, he lived about another 50. If any of this is true, I don't know, but I would like some help in finding out what he possibly did in the war.

Firstly, were trenches used at all in Egypt and Palestine?

Secondly, could anyone tell me some extra detail about the battles the Dorsets fought in while they were there? I have read the long trail website, but if anyone could add any extra detail about particular battles please do.

Joe.

The military museum in Dorchester may be useful. This is their web site address

http://www.keepmilitarymuseum.org/middleeast/index.php?

Joe

The 2/4th Dorsets left India for Egypt on the 15th August 1917. They were allotted to the 234th Bde, 75th Division on the 12th September 1917 and were ordered from Kantara to El Arish to join the Bde.

The 234th Bde moved into the line approx 3 miles east of Gaza on the 13th September and the Dorsets moved into Reserve trenches at Wadi Ghuzzeh on the 19th Sept. On the 28th September they started their trench training moving into the line by company. They moved into the front line trenches for the first time as a battalion on the 8th October at the Apex. They were to spend time in and out of the line at the Apex for the next month or so taking their first casualty on the 27th October.

During the last week of October and the first week of November there were a number of mornings when the Dorsets were heavily shelled in the Apex trenches - perhaps this is the time when your grandfather was buried in his trench.

The 2/4th Dorsets were in Bde Reserve during the third battle of Gaza moving forward after having been relieved by the Composite Bde on the night of the 8th November.

They saw action at El Mesmiyeh on the 13th November. At Junction Station on the 17th and then at Biddu on the 21st. One of their most significant actions was at Nabi Samweil (prominent hill outside of Jerusalem)on the 25th and 26th November. They then had a reasonably quiet time until the fighting in the Wadi Ballut in early April 1918 where they fought at Three Bushes Hill and Tin Hat Hill remaining in the area until the end of May. The battalion then went into divisional reserve until its disbandment in August 1918.

I have a fairly reasonable history of the 75th Division's campaign in Palestine. Let me know if you want more detail in a particular area and I'll do what I can to help..

Regards

Dave