Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Further information if possible

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

The following two gentlemen are listed on the Anstey Absent Voters List, and I would like to try and get a better idea on what they may have been involved in.

10132 Sgt. Major Harold John Draper Wireless Experimental Est.

553501 Pte. William Richard Jordan Musketry Camp, Whitley Bay

The AVL lists no other information on possible Regiment or Corps, so any further information would be appreciated.

Regards. Llew.

Llew,

There no records of either man on Ancestry's military files, not even a MIC. Possibility of course that they did not go overseas.

David

I think Draper's unit must be the Wireless Experimental Establishment.

A Google says this was formed in 1918 and was based at Biggin Hill, reporting to the RAF command structure. I guess it's reasonable to assume they were developing radio.

Sorry David, I should have mentioned that neither man seems to have a MIC, but thanks for looking and the reply.

Thanks John, I was thinking along the same sort of lines, but after my Google, didn't get to much back.

I'm assuming that William Jordan could have been linked with some sort of training unit which would have been based at Whitley Bay, any thoughts on that?

Regards. Llew.

There are very few Regiments or Corps with numbers as high as 500000 - the only ones I can think of will be Territorial RFA and RE, plus Labour Corps and 16th London Regiment.

The other option for the Wireless unit would be Royal Engineers, but RAF seems most likely.

EDIT:

Draper is RAF (enlisted 16-10-1915). See:

http://www.britishmedals.us/files/raf1918d.html

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=145721&st=0&p=1459668&hl=

Steve.

Thanks for that Steve, what a fantastic site, I'll check for the rest of the RFC/RAF men on the AVL.

William Jordans service number is as per the AVL at the county records office, unless I've slipped with a digit when inputting or the dreaded clerical error has reared its head again.

Regards. Llew.