Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Time Expired Territorials

jim_davies

Not sure whether "time expired" is the right term.

What I'm trying to refer to is those territorials whose original terms of enlistment came due midway during the war and decided not to renew. My understanding is that they would be allowed to return home.

How common was non renewal?

What type of "pressure" was placed to have them re-enlist?

What were the attitude by those at home and at the front to these men?

Seen as having "done their bit", lucky to be out of it, or something less charitable?

If they were later conscripted would they keep rank, senority etc and what would the chance be of being posted to the same unit/corps?

Etc?

Hope the above makes sense.

Jim

Jim.................I can't really answer any of the questions you have raised but I've posted as I have recently been doing some research on a local casualty who it turned out was a time expired Territorial & I thought it may be of interest to you.............Samuel Bissell is the chap in question..........He joined the Territorial Army in 1912, enlisting in Wolverton with the Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry as a Bandsman. When war was declared in August 1914, he was immediately mobilised & was drafted to France soon after. Upon arriving in France he transferred to the Army Cyclist Corps & served with them until his period of Territorial Service elapsed in June 1916............ At this time Samuel Bissell was sent back to a base camp. I assume removal from the line was par for the course under these circumstances. I know that as a Territorial soldier at the end of his term of engagement, Samuel Bissell would have been liable to the provisions of the Military Service Act (conscription) if he had returned to England........ However, he immediately volunteered to return to active service & was attached to the Royal Warwickshire Regiment. Idon't know what if any pressures were brought to bear on him to agree to volunteering........... Sadly, Samuel Bissell was reportedly killed when shot through the head by a sniper only four days after returning to the front line.

What I'm trying to refer to is those territorials whose original terms of enlistment came due midway during the war and decided not to renew. My understanding is that they would be allowed to return home.

How common was non renewal?

What type of "pressure" was placed to have them re-enlist?

What were the attitude by those at home and at the front to these men?

Seen as having "done their bit", lucky to be out of it, or something less charitable?

If they were later conscripted would they keep rank, senority etc and what would the chance be of being posted to the same unit/corps?

I've been looking at this for the battalion I've been researching - the 19th London Regt, the 1/19th which went to France on 9/10 March 1915. Of the 959 other ranks that went with the battalion (so far found in the 194/15 Star Rolls) on this date I have found 37 such men who were discharged. They are shown as "Term of Engagement".

The window of opportunity to be TofE was limited. The 4 year term of service was automatically extended by 12 months on the outbreak of war, so the earliest TofE men could not have left before early August 1915. The second Military Service Act of May 1916 removed any opportunity to leave.

All of my 37 left between Sept 1915 and March 1916. Unfortuntately I dont yet know what happend to them all. Some may have later been conscripted - with almost no chance of ending back with the 19th. I am sure that many would have preferred reenlistment for this reason.

Those who did reenlist were entitled to 1 month reengagement leave. Those who didnt would have been allowed to return home, but would have been conscripted unless they could get into a reserved occupation (I once came across a man in the Hertfordshire Regt who managed this) or were above the age limits. One of the 37 - CSM Dillingham - had served in South Africa and was 51 when his term of engagement finished in early 1916. He left as T of E and was not conscripted, though ended up helping out in battalion HQ and was the founding secretary of the Old Comrades Association.

I dont yet know what proportion of those who could have taken the T of E option actually declined it. I should be able to estimate this once I have a more complete list of the 4 digit 1908 series numbers. From the numbers that I have it would appear to be the majority.

Will and Charles,

Thanks for your replies.

My interest was prompted by the following article from a Dec 1915 newspaper:

"Monday six Territorials (privates J. Boyall, W. Cuplin, A. Freeman, W. Johnson and J. Stafford) arrived home from Loughborough, where they have been for nearly a month awaiting their discharge papers. They have served their term of four years as a Territorials and have been at the front eight months."

Cheers,

Jim

Will and Charles,

Thanks for your replies.

My interest was prompted by the following article from a Dec 1915 newspaper:

"Monday six Territorials (privates J. Boyall, W. Cuplin, A. Freeman, W. Johnson and J. Stafford) arrived home from Loughborough, where they have been for nearly a month awaiting their discharge papers. They have served their term of four years as a Territorials and have been at the front eight months."

Cheers,

Jim

Jim.................Do you know which Territorial unit they served with?................I was wondering if it's possible to cross reference via their MIC's to see if they served post December 1915.............This may indicate that they had been conscripted after returning to England

Will,

I think it's most likely that they are 1/5th Leics men given the village they were from (Ketton, Rutland).

I have the roll of men who served from the village and have identified these as possibles:

William James Culpin

Thomas William Johnson

James Stafford

J Boyall is either Joseph ot John-there are 4 J Boyalls online:

I think this is most likely:

Joseph H Boyall, 1111 Leics, pte-with no other service.

Looked online for the others but no-one really stands out.

Jim

"Time expired" is the correct official term,

See below the certificates & Exemption of 1313,Sergeant Edward Moorcroft,of St Peter's Liverpool,[later Bolton];late,of the 1/5th Bn;Loyal North Lancashire Regiment TF,who enlisted into the TF on 13th May 1911,serving 5 Years,including 1 Year 299 days embodied service,including 1 Year 100 Days Overseas,[France & Belgium]he was discharged "Time Expired"[King's Regulations:Para 392 Sub Sec~XXI;]A Note on His Discharge Certificate [TF]States Armlet Number M.99,375[Presumably a Predesessor of the SWB?]Dated 28/9 May 1916.His Exemption Certificate States:~County Borough of Bolton Town Hall Bolton;

Certificate Number:2798.

This is to certify that Edward Moorcroft of 84 Wolferden Street Bolton,

Age 24,

Profession: Engine Cleaner{Trainee Engine Driver};

is exempted from the provisions of the Military Service Acts 1916.The Exemption is*

Temporary until:31st May 1917,

The grounds on which the exemption is granted is:

"That he should be engaged in the work in which he is habitually engaged";

Dated:27th February 1917.

Signed for the Tribunal:Samuel Parker

And Territorial Discharge Certificate.

Which again states "Time Expired" K.R.392XXI

:NB:Armlet Number:M99/375,[in top LH Corner facing]