Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Medal Ribbon

richardp@comsine.co.uk

Hi all

You may have seen a post on the forum the other day from me regarding a picture of a German PoW my grandfather had. All we know about the PoW is that he was a CSM (which i think is 'Feldwebel' in German), he was in the 459th IR and his christian name was Heinz. Looking at the photo (attached) of him, he is wearing a medal ribbon. Identfying what award it relates to could help in my task (perhaps too ambitious for someone who doen't speak German!) of trying to identify him. Any ideas what the ribbon could signify? I assume the cross on his sleve indicates his rank?

Many thanks

Richard

post-28132-032386200 1283110473.jpg

post-28132-023724500 1283110500.jpg

Most Likely to be an EK2 {Iron Cross} though could be any of a number of Medals that used the similar ribbon.

{It would appear that the negative was reversed as the Ribbon should be on the other side!!}

Thanks very much - useful. Are their lists of Iron Cross recipients? Although of course without a surname, even if there are, probably not much use unless one can do a search by regiment / rank.

Appreciated

Richard

Ah, I've just looked on wikipedia:

"In the First World War, approximately four million Iron Crosses of the lower grade (2nd Class) were issued, as well as around 145,000 of the higher grade (1st Class).[3] Exact numbers of awards are not known, since the Prussian archives were destroyed during the Second World War."

so probably not much more I can do with that lime of enquiry.

cheers

Richard

Thanks very much - useful. Are their lists of Iron Cross recipients? Although of course without a surname, even if there are, probably not much use unless one can do a search by regiment / rank.

Appreciated

Richard

Not that I am aware of. If you can ever figure out who he is you might try and get copies of his hometown paper to see if there is a mention of it. I did that for my grandfather and while I never found any mention of his EKII award I certainly seem to have found everyone else's! :(

-Daniel

There is a faint chance that we might be able to home in a bit closer on this one because, fairly unusually for a high numbered infantry regiment which was not raised until Jan 1917, there is a regimental history and it is quite detailed in parts. That is the good news. The bad is that I do not have a complete copy, only one of the part relating to Third Ypres in autumn 1917. Are you able to say when and where the photo was obtained? A quick glance through the section I have does not throw up any obvious possibilites - which is no surprise. The capture of a feldwebel would be unlikely to get a specific mention. However, armed with closer background information, it might be possible to make a few suggestions. If it was other than at Third Ypres, someone else may be able to have sight of the complete book and be able to do a search for you.

Jack

Thanks Daniel and Jack

Jack - he was captured on the 4th November 1917, along with three other ranks. At least 65 killed. Took place at Gavrelle Village which is just NE of Arras.

cheers

Richard

Well that is useful. Unfortunately I do not have that bit,but some one else should be able to check it out for you and see if anything can be added. It might take a fresh topic to attract somebody with suitable access.

Jack