Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Ribbon

Sappersson

Hello

I have been re-searching a member of my family whom i have been told recieved a Military Medal during his service in The Great War. I have recently been sent a photo of him in his uniform and have blown up an image of the medal ribbon worn above his left breast pocket. After some re-search i think the the first part of the ribbon reading left to right is the M.M,i would be very grateful if anyone could confirm this or tell me what it does signify. Also what does the rest of the ribbon signify.

Thank You

Dave.

post-51663-012350800 1283073278.jpg

Certainly an MM; the one on the end is a British War Medal; the second could be a washed out 1914 or 1914-15 Star. Absence of a Allied Victory Medal might seem to date it to before approval/issue of that ribbon. From the jacket he also seems to be an Australian.

I would say for sure it was MM, Staffsyeoman why Australian? could it not be Rifle Brigade?

With the black buttons i tend to confer ?

MC

auchonvillerssomme is spot on Sgt Joseph Henry Bodley 8th Battalion London Rifle Brigade. I have already got his medal card and London Gazette entry.The reason i did not mention his name is that the rest of his family history he is documented as Joseph David Bodley but the photo the medal ribbon was taken from is definitely him, now i will try to find out why he changed his middle name during his military service.

Thank you all for responding so quickly.

Regards

Dave.