Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John James Farrell and Edward William Farrell

ce.bedford

Two members of my family are said to have been killed or injured in "the war", I've now narrowed it down to the two mentioned above in the topic line - John James Farrell born in 1890 in Carrickfergus, Belfast and his younger brother Edward William Farrell born 1896 in Nantwich, Cheshire. A subsequent look through the service records available online, pension records, medal cards and the CWGC plus various other websites turns up absolutely nothing. I checked WW2 records just in case because family history is always a bit dodgy here and there but could find nothing there either. I do know that two of their other brothers emigrated and wondered if these two did as well and fought under another countries flag but not knowing anything other than a half remembered fact that my gt grandmother went out to either Belgium or France to see the war grave of one of her brothers I know very little. One brother is supposedly to have had his leg blown off, came home and then moved to Newcastle Upon Tyne but I would have expected to find a pension record which would reflect this fact but I've found nothing there either.

John and Edwards bothers were Frederick Matthew Farrell born 1893 Nantwich, Cheshire and Died 1945 in Australia and Thomas Herbert Farrell born 1899 in Belfast, NI died Australia. Their parents were Peter/Patrick Farrell born abt 1866 Edgeworthstown, Co Longford if you go by his Police service records or Haddington Scotland if you go by his army service records! Peter joined the 5th Dragoon Guards in 1885, went to reserve status in 1892 at which point he joined Cheshire Police. When his army service was up he resigned from Cheshire Police in 1897 and the family moved back to Belfast. Their mother was Elizabeth/Eliza Hartfield born 1866 Woolwich, Kent, father was Henry Hartfield Royal Artillery but Peter and Eliza married in Belfast in 1888.

I was advised by someone on the Belfast Genealogy board to visit this forum as they said you guys are very good at finding and sorting this kind of stuff out and I've now been searching ages without any joy. Can anyone help with the limited info I have?

Have you tried spelling variations on the surname 'Farrall' etc?

Have you tried spelling variations on the surname 'Farrall' etc?

Yeah, I've tried all that and using middle names as christian names etc but no luck.

The only John Farrell with Belfast connections is:

Name: John Farrell

Birth Place: Shankill, Belfast

Death Date: 31 Jul 1917

Death Location: France & Flanders

Enlistment Location: Belfast

Regiment: Royal Irish Rifles

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 9200

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: Western European Theatre

Name: FARRELL, JOHN

Initials: J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment/Service: Royal Irish Rifles

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 31/07/1917

Service No: 9200

Additional information: Father of Miss Sarah Farrell, of Murlaggan, Roy Bridge, Inverness-shire.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: XXIX. B. 19.

Cemetery: BUTTES NEW BRITISH CEMETERY, POLYGON WOOD

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=480215

Steve.

Thanks Steve, will check it out but I think its the same one I've looked at before and its not the John I'm after but will let you know.

I've pretty much given up now. I don't think I have much hope of finding either one. This forum was my last port of call, I think I have to resign myself to the fact that they've fallen off the face of the Earth although I did find a medal card in the name James Farrell which has a note on it which reads see John Farrell. Don't quite know what to do with it though.

The good news is that there is a tree on Ancestry with them both on - its called Page Family tree.

The bad news is that it is not available now, my guess is that someone has taken it down. If it does not belong to anyone you know, I suggest you dig further here

And on GenesReunited a Claire (Bedford) has a tree with them on - hang on I see that is you :)

...and Claire, you have this thread on POW section. If that is wrong I suggest you get a mod to move it to "Soldiers"

And on GenesReunited a Claire (Bedford) has a tree with them on - hang on I see that is you :)

...and Claire, you have this thread on POW section. If that is wrong I suggest you get a mod to move it to "Soldiers"

Yeah I didn't realise until after I posted. Both tree's you mention are indeed mine, Page is my maiden name...lol! This family has been an absolute nightmare but thanks for your help.