Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian Quaker with UK Medal card - help please

stublick

I am trying to make sense of the service of Edward Mitford Abraham of Birkenhead, Canada and Swarthmoor Hall, Ulverston, Cumbria

I have tried to upload his Canadian attestation papers and his medal card onto this posting but the images are too big and I can't figure out how to compress them. However, if anyone can be bothered to look at them and interpret them for me I would much appreciate it.

What do the unit abbreviations mean? Was he transferred from the Canadian Army to the Brit Army? What's going on?

Thanks

Ian L

stublick,

I had a look at the attestation papers. His regimental number places him in the M.D. (Military District) #11 "B" section 1st Field Ambulance CEF. There is a notation that he was transfered to the 13th Field Ambulance on the left side of the page. Also there is a notation stating transfer notice dated 3-8-16. I'm not sure if this is the transfer to the 13th or to the British forces. His MIC, does it have the Canadian regimental number still? There are cases where a CEF soldier was listed on a British MIC card. Your best bet is to get his Canadian Service record (sadly they are not digitized). It will give details of all postings. See link below for the link on how to order it.

http://www.collectio...es/index-e.html use reference # RG 150, Volume 18 - 5, ABRAHAM, EDWARD MITFORD, 524633, 17/10/1883

Good luck,

Ken

Hi,

These are from the London Gazette

Regards Mark

£660 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 4 JULY, 1917.

War Office.

4th, July, 1917.

REGULAR FORCES.

The undermentioned W.Os., N.C.Os. and men to be temp. 2nd Lts., with effect from dates shown: —

Pte. E. M. Abraham, from Can. A.M.C. 30th May 1917.

LG1

5084 SUPPLEMENT TO THE LONDON GAZETTE, 3 MAY, 1920.

Temp. 2nd Lt. E. M. Abraham, 3rd Feb. 1920, and is granted the rank of Lt.

LG2

Hi Medal Card has R.T.E. which might be 'RTE : Railway Transport Establishment, followed by 'R.E.' in a different ink 'RE: Railway Establishment?'

Hi,

This is from the 28 Nov 1917 Army List

Labour Corps

2nd Lieutenant (Temporary)

Abraham E M, 30 May17

and the

28 Nov 1918 Army List

Railway Traffic Officer(Class HH)

Abraham, Temp Lt E M 30 June18

New Armies

2nd Lieutenant

Abraham E M