Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Finding out which squadron

joee86

Hello,

I understand that it is rather easy to find out a man's battalion if he was in the infantry. However, how does one go about finding out which squadron a man served in, whilst in a cavalry regiment?

Also, would a man stay in the same squadron for the duration of his career or did he switch a lot?

Thanks.

Joe.

Hello joe the same as the army , as long we have a name or a service number

best reguards

Ian

Hi Joe your best bet is to download his medal card from National Archives or make a visit to kew

best reguards

Ian

I have done both, and come up with nothing.

The only clue I have is that he was in C (HQ) Squadron in 1908. The only reason, I ask is because I have purchased a few books about the major actions he was in. It mentions what the different squadrons were doing, and having his squadron would really narrow down the possibility of what he was doing and where.

Is there any clues in the number itself, I know this is sometimes the case with the infantry?

Joe.

Joe

I see you have already visited Kew

Have you tried the war diaries? There's no guarantee but I've seen a couple of Calvary War Diaries which include an embarkation roll when they landed in France.

Details here click

Stuart

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look next time I go.

When I went last week that diary was being looked at by someone all day, very frustrating.

But do you think there is a chance that he was still in C squadron if he was in it in 1908? Also, in the 1908 photo it says C (HQ) squadron, but I thought in the war there A, B, C and then HQ. Did this change at time of war?

Joe.