Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cecil Harcourt Folder Lees

corisande

Cecil Harcourt Folder Lees (click for link to my information on him) was murdered in Dublin in 1921.

I would appreciate help in adding to what I have

1. 1873 Jun 20. Born in France

2. Served in South Africa with Montmorency Scouts

3. 1917 Feb 12. commissioned

4. Served with Chinese Labour Corps as far as I can see for his whole time between 1917 and 1919

5. 1920 Mar 11 . Resigned commission

6 1920 Jul 26 . Gets "special appointment"

7 1921 Mar 29. Murdered Dublin

Really very little on the chap. An unusual case for a special appointment - they were more of the MC and bar types

Any help on adding anything about him appreciated. I have started another thread as a potential non-commemorated as he is not on CWGC.

Name:Cecil Harcourt Holder Lees

Record Type:Baptism

Date:31 Jan 1874

Father's Name:Harcourt James Lees

Mother's Name:Harriet Ellen Constance Lees

Parish:St Mark, Notting Hill

Borough:Kensington and Chelsea

County:Middlesex

His father was reported as being the late amassador to Boulougne, and Cecil was engaged to be married to a French woman at the time of his death. (NY Times)

He reported to Hill-Dillon, and was rumoured to have tortured suspects.

http://books.google....epage&q&f=false

Quite a bit of info on this man's father. A colourful member of the aristocracy, it seems.

Bit of a BIOG, some family history stuff at rydecemeteryorg.uk (try googling his name, it comes up as a link to a pdf file), and on WIKIPEDIA (should be able to track the family down pretty easily).

Also DIVORCE PAPERS at TNA.

Edit; looks like your man was 1st son, 2nd marriage, born 7 months after his parents marriage. Parents divorced when he was 15-ish. Scots-Irish ancestry.

IPT and headgardener

Thanks for those leads. I must say I ,missed the reference in "British spies and Irish rebels: British intelligence and Ireland, 1916-1945" even though I have the book

Looks as if a lot more can be got on his family now

Odd that wit that sort of background, he only appears in the army, in 1917 and in the Labour Corps. I guess he might possibly have been in the ranks before that.

He would presumably have been 2Lt and then Lt well before being promoted Capt in early 1917. Doubt he'd have served in the ranks, except maybe for a very short time (assuming that he enlisted in the early days of the war).

In any case, if he'd been living abroad (S.Africa?) before the war he wouldn't have been subject to conscription.

By the way, I was editing my last post at the same as you posted your reply.

Also, I'm guessing that as first son, second marriage, he may have been entitled to a title of some kind.

Edit; just saw THIS (re; Montmorency Scouts in Boer War). May be worth looking at citations just in case it mentions your man.

Yes he must be the son referred to as coming 7 months into the marriage, I have edited and added that data

Probably no wonder I cannot get much on his early life. He was born 1873 and this is from the Times of 1887 and concerns both his parents

divorce2.jpg

One wonders where the young Cecil was living at the time?

His service record is in WO 339/105582.

The entry in WO 338 has been annotated "papers missing from Docs".

Phil

Thanks Phil

Just my luck :angry:

He doesn't appear to have had much service in the Boer War, he joined Montmorency's Scouts as a Trooper on the 1st March 1900 then on the 10th May he was discharged to a commission as Lieutenant in 1st Brabants Horse. He resigned from Brabant's Horse on the 3rd June 1900.

Aled

Thanks Aled

I had not realised that his service in Boer War was so short - unless he joined another unit after resigning from Brabant's Horse

I have him down as joining the South African Civil Service after the Boer War

- unless he joined another unit after resigning from Brabant's Horse

His entry in the Brabants Horse roll has a note of his previous service with Montmorency's Scouts but no mention of any subsequent service. If he did serve in another unit I would have expected to se an annotation to that effect as the rolls invariably do if there is any.

Aled

Thanks Aled

I have never managed to really crack Boer War records.