Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots or Royal Scots Fusiliers ?

Jonesy6113

I`m hoping someone can kindly help me with this query.

George Philip is recorded on the St Martins war memorial as having served in the Royal Scots.

http://warmemscot.s4.bizhat.com/warmemscot-ftopic250.html

I have been unable to trace him as serving in RS on the CWGC website. However there is a G Philip recorded in the RSF. http://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=1

I imagine that this is the man who is on the St Martins memorial, as there are only a few G Philip`s on the CWGC Roll of Honour.

From previous research I think he was from Stanley which is a few miles from where he is commemorated.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy.

Hello Andy, I have found 2 george Philip on SDGW

Royal Scots Fusiliers

2nd Battalion

Philip

George

Private 33476

Born - Helensburgh,Dumbartonshire

Enlisted - Perth

Residence - Stanley ,Perthshire

D.O.D 04/10/1918

Died from Wounds

France & Flanders

Royal Scots ( Lothian Regiment)

6th Battalion

Philip

George

L/CPL 2066

Born - ?

Enlisted - Edinburgh

Residence - Dunfermline, Fife

D.O.D 18/08/1915

Killed in Action

Gallipoli

I think he is Royal scot fusiliers

thats my guess :whistle:

best reguards

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

I`m going for the RSF too ! :thumbsup:

Perhaps the stonemason who worked on the St Martins memorial didn`t have the correct info - or maybe he was having a bad day ?? :whistle:

I`m a wee bit mystified why he`s not on the Stanley memorial though.

I`m of the opinion that he is a distant relative,given that fact that the area is rural, sparcley populated and that the name isn`t that common.I may be able to find out who Georges father was if I access "Scotlands People"

Alex Philip on the memorial was my Gt Gt Grandmothers brother. :poppy:

Thanks again.

Aye.

Andy.

George Philip from the RSF is on the Scottish National War Memorial, he has an Army paybook will held in Edinburgh the ref no is SC70/8/1152/9. That should prove fairly conclusively who he is.

John

Just two observations, which probably do nothing to clarify anything but which I will make anyway. :o)

Firstly, 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers was among the battalions with higher than average casualties and I have noticed, looking at medal cards, that plenty of Edinburgh men who started in the Royal Scots were drafted in to the Royal Scots Fusiliers, as well as the Ayreshire and Glasgow lads that you would expect in the RSF. So a number of men were genuinely members of both regiments at different times.

Secondly, even during the Great War, the Royal Scots were frequently confused with the Royal Scots Fusiliers - I have posted before on the forum that my Grandfather's war record includes a letter in which the war office attempt to post him to the 3rd Battalion Royal Scots, who write back pointing out that he is actually an officer of the Royal Scots Fusiliers.

To make things even more complicated, 8th Brigade (Third Division) included among its' four battalions the 1st Battalion Royal Scots Fusiliers and also the 2nd Battalion Royal Scots, and I have no doubt that there were loads of other mix-ups!

William.