Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private Egbert Robertson, CEF 69811 - Looking for Trench K2a Kemmel Ar

laughton

I am helping a CEF grandson who is in the Philippines (another brother in Calgary). We have had a GREAT NUMBER of e-mail exchanges so a lot of the information has been transferred.

Grandfather Robertson was in a Signals Section on Kemmel Hill on June 15, 1916 when his placement was hit by a mortar - her survived, his partner did not. I have gathered all the information from the London Gazette and the Battalion, Brigade and Division War Diaries.

He was in Sector N14 on Map 28SW at "R.E. Fm" (R. E. Farm). I have placed that and linked it to Google Earth so we know where they were stationed by not the exact spot where he was in his signals trench when hit - that is what the grandson is seeking.

The war diary refers to "K&L Trenches" and when he was hit "K2a Trench". I believe this was on KEMMEL HILL (you can see that at elevation 60) but I have only the 1/40,000 map and so I am looking for someone that has more detail on the trenches. Grandson Ted is in the area on business in the next few weeks and wants to to to where his grandfather was when he lost his legs.

I have gone through all my resources and have found nothing to tell me where the K2a trench was located. Any chance any one in the group has more details on that area??

All the images are located here:

Egbert's Location

and I believe that Kemmel Hill must be the spot at elevation 60 as I have noted with the yellow arrow - R.E. Farm where they were billeted is to the north.

Kemel_Hill.jpg

Fellow CEF Researcher Tighe McManus has found a reference to K2a as a railway rather than a trench: "I have found a July 1917 map Kemmel SW 1 that shows new roads and railways. It appears on page 37 of the book Topography of Armageddon by Peter Chasseaud. There is a rail line (as opposed to a trench) that is labelled K2A and is a spur off the K2 Line and runs from the rail junction at N.13.b.9.6 south west to N.13.b.6.4."

Glad to oblige on supplying the map.

You can see the main railway in the NW corner, with a light line running away north-easterly from Nut Farm.

No labels on the lines though to assit in identification.

Forgot to add;

The summit of Kemmel Hill is one block further South, in 26, not 20.

Simon.

post-47832-077357100 1282926691.jpg

Here's another closed up onto square14, showing the east edge of 13 on the left hand side.

post-47832-004419300 1282927245.jpg

Perfect! Thanks for that information.

I also received a railway map from TIghe at the CEFSG, which may be of interest to those studying that area.

It has the labels for K2A.

Kemmel1917K2A.jpg

I recommend, for your further research, the trench map DVD's (with photos also) produced by the Western Front Association, of which I am a member.

Hundreds of high-res maps, all scanned by volunteers, and many dozen photos per box, each box covering a distinct area of the British & Commonwealth front line areas.

This snippets I have posted up were drawn from these.

Simon.

Thanks for that tip Simon!

I am a member of the Western Front Association here in Canada (COBWFA) and I have not heard of that package. Perhaps not all the good information reaches the colonies?

http://www.cobwfa.ca/

I would be pleased to receive and share any information as to how to obtain these maps.

Thanks to all for the great help that is always provided.

Richard

The page on their UK website can be found here;

WFA trench map DVDs

It's all explained there.

Some boxes contain 1 x DVD, some have 2.

Maps and photos all in hi-res scanned JPEGs

Currently available; Ypres ; Loos area (1915 battles) ; Arras (inc. Vimy Ridge) ; Somme north ; Somme south ; Gallipoli ; British Official History maps ; Haig's own maps ; German maps. They are working on the Belgian Army front, Strategic maps and areas east of the 'Old Front Line' in France.

£20 a box plus delivery.

If you were to obtain the lot then you're looking at well over 2000 maps, and over 1000 photos.

If you have a problem getting hold of them then PM me and we'll have to see if we can find a way to get them out to you.

Simon.