Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Birkenhead War Memorial

BeppoSapone

I have a question about Birkenhead War Memorial, and maybe others too?

My great uncle, killed in 1918, was from Birkenhead, and is not listed on the local memorial. I remembered this, but the following had slipped my mind.

Some years ago I obtained a list of the other members of 1/4 Cheshires killed on 14 October 1918, IIRC compiled from "Soldiers Died". The 1/4 was a local TA bn that had not seen major action earlier in the war. Looking at the list I have, no less than 10 of the listed soldiers were born and/or enlisted in Birkenhead.

In 1990 I wrote to Birkenhead Central Library, who hold/held the "Birkenhead Men who Fell in the War" sheets, from which the names for the memorial were obtained. The library told me that, having checked and double checked the list I supplied only one of the men is actually on the Birkenhead War Memorial!

They said ".. the present search shows that the Roll may only represent a fraction of the number of local people killed, which is a depressing thought".

How common is this? Is Birkenhead an isolated case?

Beppo,

I have problems with memorials also,

The memorial has different names on it than you would expect.

Looking on soldiers died for those connected to Seaford some are on the memorial and some not.

Some on the memorial are not from here but may have connections through family?

Hope you find your answer.

Mandy