Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFA

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

30624 BSM Arthur Albert Worth is listed on the Anstey AVL as being with the 109th Battery RFA. His MIC shows a date of entry of 19.08.1914 and that he was awarded the DCM. The citation listed in the London Gazette shows arthur has being attached 109th Battery, 281st (Lond.) Bde. RFA, T.F. (Cork) and reads as follows,

During the advance from the 31st October to 11th November 1918 he repeatedly displayed courage and initiative, particularly at Queuy le Petit on the 10th November. He has at all times been a fine example to his battery of pluck and endurance.

Could anybody help with any further information on the 109th Battery, diary entries for November 1918 would be great:whistle: , and if possible, an idea on when arthur would have joined the RFA.

Best regards. Llew.

Hello Llew

An entry date of 19 Aug 1914 indicates that he was already a trained Regular sodier (or possibly a recalled reservist) at that date, and went to France with the original BEF. 109 Batt wwas then in XXIII Bde RFA in 3rd Division: it joined 283 Bde in 56th (1st London) Div about Feb 1916 and switched to 281 Bde at the end of 1916, when 283 Bde was broken up.

RFA batteries did not keep separate War Diaries but the diary for the brigade is in the National Archives at Kew under the following reference:

WO 95/2940 281 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1915 Aug. - 1919 May

I don't think it is available online yet but you might try the NA's website, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk,just in case. In any event you should be able to order a copy of the diary for Oct/Nov 1918 from them.

Good hunting!

Ron

Hello Ron,

Thanks for the information, I didn't realise that the battery wouldn't have a diary. I'm hoping that someone might be able to give me an idea on when he enlisted from the service number.

I'll make a note of the NA reference number and hopefully get down there at some time in the near future.

Best regards. Llew.

Llew

I have put together a Timeline for the 281st Brigade based on its War Diary, the 56th Divisions movements and actions and my Grandfathers Diary, he was in D Battery. My Grandfather was also in Quevy Le Petit on 11th

Drop me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you the relevant parts.

At that time gun sections were often detached from their batteries and were moving with the infantry.

I did notice this from 11th which will be of interest

"109 battery in action on Mons – Maubeuge road 3 miles S. of Mons fired on hostile 4.2” battery at 10.56am enemy retaliated on battery position."

I also have short video of Quevy Le Petit.

Bob

In terms of his enlistment data.. I know another regular Corporal in 1914 with the number 30267 enlisted 10 Feb 1903! .. so he would have enlisted at a very similar date . quite possibly on a 3year full time and 9 year reservist enlistment.. which he could have changed to a full 12 year (or longer) enlistment... or have been a recalled reservist in 1914..

david