Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CWGC & MOD PS4

Barry S

Whilst reading the Major & Mrs Holts Somme guide I came across a section that mentioned that D.N.A. testing is not used, this would surely help identify many more casualties.

Why do they not use D.N.A. testing?

I was greatly interested to read Terry's posting on Battle Field recoveries which did lead me to wonder if a Coroner's report would have had to be filed which would detail where found, probable cause of death etc, etc.

Barry

Surely DNA would only identify a body if you had a descendant's DNA to compare it with?? And you would only know somebody was a descendant if you knew who the body was.

I suppose it could help to distinguish between two or three 'possibles'.

I can also see a danger of a 'false negative', if that is the right term in this case.

What I mean by that is a missing man's grandchild provides a DNA sample and it doesn't match an unidentified body - but you can't really say that proves the body ISN'T the individual in question, all it proves is that the body is not the biological grandfather of the person whose DNA his is being comapred with. Who knows who was helping grandma keep the home fires burning?

And I guess expense enters the equation as well.

Jock Bruce

Guest Brummy
I was greatly interested to read Terry's posting on Battle Field recoveries which did lead me to wonder if a Coroner's report would have had to be filed which would detail where found, probable cause of death etc, etc.

Barry

All remains have to be handed over to the Police or relevent authorities in the country in which they are found for due process under the laws of that country before being handed to the CWGC for research, investigation, posible identification and finaly burial.

Brum

Jock and Brum are both correct

DNA testing would be impossible to use (with whom would you compare the sample?). It would also cost a fortune and in many cases a sample would not provide testable DNA.

Also, as Brum says, it is not CWGC's responsibility to identify bodies. That lies with the local police/coronor in the country in which they are found with a secondary responsibility with the MoD if they so wish.

CWGC are only responsible for looking after graves and memorials. They are not a missing persons bureau.