Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lt. Francis Willett 9th Leicesters

Adam Llewellyn

Good day all,

Lt. Francis Willett is listed on the Anstey AVL and is also mentioned in the 9th Battalion War Diary as being wounded on the 27th October 1917. It looks like he may have been awarded the Military Cross, but there is no mention of it in the Battalion Diary and I'm getting nothing back from the LG search engine. Would some kind pal, with the know how, have a check and see if they can find anything for me.

FrancisWillettMIC.jpg

Best regards.

Llew.

Hi Llew

I have found so far this in London Gazette.

Is this your man?

We need to look for alternative spellings. The strange thing is if this is your man why did they have MC for the earlier entry, but not the later entry?

I hope this helps

Terry

Gazette Issue 30357 published on the 26 October 1917. Page 6 of 22

Leic. R.

The undermentioned to be actg. Capte..

(addtl.):— :

20 July 1917.

Temp. Lt. St. J. Hodson (2nd Lt., Leic..

R.).

Temp. Lt. E. R. Swann.

2nd Lt. F. W. Willett, M.C. (T.F.), to

be temp. Lt. 24 Mar. 1917

Gazette Issue 30577 published on the 12 March 1918. Page 11 of 14

Leicestershire Regt.—Temp. Capt. (actg. Lt.-

Col.) G. B. A. Beckett, M.C., Glouc. Begt.,

relinquishes the actg. rank of Lt!-Col.

on ceasing to comd. a Bn. 9th Nov.

1917, when he reverts to the actg. rank

of Maj. whilst empld. as 2nd in Command.

2nd Lt. E. C. Doudney to be Lt., above

Lt. H. Prophett. 1st July 1917.

2nd Lt. F. W. Willett to be Lt. 5th Mar.

Good morning Terry,

Thanks for that, I always seem to struggle with the Gazette search engine.

I've just double checked the AVL and he is listed has Francis William, so I'm sure he's the man.

Could anybody through some light on why the MC could have been missed off the later entry? I suppose it could just be a clerical error, but if that is the case, would there be a citation some where?

Regards. Llew.

It appears in the London Gazette, issue 30188, dated 17th July 1917, page 7250 of the supplement.

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/30188/supplements/7250

"2nd Lt. Francis William Willett, Leic. R.

For conspicuous gallantry in an attack, when, although wounded, he maintained a forward position with a Lewis gun team all day and until all the team had become casualties. Before withdrawing he buried the gun."

That's not the date it was earned, of course, just the date it was notified.

9/Leics ; 110 Brigade ; 21st Division. It mentions that the award was made "in an attack" in the citation. Attack on the Hindenburg Line, 3rd May 1917?

At this time the Division was in 3rd Army and formed part of the left pincer at Bullecourt. Whilst the Australians were battering that place in a frontal assault from the South, 21st Division was to attack on the Aussie left, coming South-East. 110 Brigade was to capture Fontaine-les-Croisilles and secure the left flank. The Germans had a trench called the Cherisy-Riegel running between Cherisy and Fontaine which held up the Brigade attack and foiled it. Around 100 men of the 9th were said to have penetrated the line, but were captured in a counter-attack. The 18th Division to their left had no success either and tha attack was a failure.

(Official History, 1917 vol 1, page 433 - 437.)

Simon.

>><<

Could anybody through some light on why the MC could have been missed off the later entry? I suppose it could just be a clerical error, but if that is the case, would there be a citation somewhere?

Regards. Llew.

The original entry may have been the clerical error!?

(My Grandfather, Harold Faulder (T/Capt 3rd Y&L) is listed in the History of the Inns of Court OTC as having an MC - but he did not (as far as I know) - he was however mentioned in despatches (twice) which should have meant his entry ended M(2). I suspect that in transcribing, the "2)" got lost (off a margin?) and the resulting "M(" was then miss-interpreted as M.C. That is the only conclusion I can come up with! But clerical errors can have all sorts of causes.)

Does your Willett, by the way trace his ancestors back to Essex (Colchester) by any chance?

David

Gentlemen, thank you for the information and help supplied, it is greatly appreciated.

Peter,

It looks as if Francis made a career with the Leicestershire Regiment? I was searching with just the Francis Willett part, I'll get me coat.

Simon,

Very possible, I'll have another scan through the 9th Battalion diary and see if he does get another mention, with him being wounded on the day of the action I would expect him to be listed in the Battalion diary on the day in question.

David,

I have the family in Anstey, Leics on the 1901 census, and I've not gone back any further then that at present. The family are listed as follows,

Father, Charles born Ratby, Leics, Employer Boot/Heel manufacturer.

Mother, Emma born Anstey

Francis William

Joseph Percival (Listed on the AVL as being with the RGA)

2 younger sisters.

All the children are registered as being born in Anstey.

Regards. Llew.

Simon,

2nd Lt. Willett is listed on the 3rd May 1917 as being wounded in the 9th Battalion diary.

Thanks again.

Llew.