Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private John Hesp of the KOYLI

Jonathan_NW

Hi everyone

I'm trying to help a mate discover more about the service history of his Great Grandfather. He was 65062 Private John Hesp of the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. His medal card states that he was a recipiant of the British War and Victory Medals but gives no direct clues as to which Battalion he served with etc. Am I right in thinking that this type of medal card is generally related to those soldiers who did not go overseas until 1916 at the earliest?

I know that there are many very clever people on here who from the number alone will have a good idea as to when he enlisted and with which Battalion he was with. I will try to look at similar service numbers to see if there is a common thread but as we are stuck at work for the night we are both hoping someone can help!

I will attempt to to keep track of any replies tonight. Please help if you can, it will make the night go much quicker!!

Thanks a lot

Jonathan (and Greg)

You're right about his overseas service taking place no earlier than 1st jan 1916. I can't help you date the regimental number, but remember that it'll only tell you when he joined that regiment, and that this may not be the date that he enlisted (he may have served with another regiment in the UK before transferring to the KOYLI's overseas (MIC's generally only record the units that a man served with overseas).

You'll be able to trace the battalion that he served overseas with by checking the medal rolls at the National Archives (or getting a researcher to do it for you). You also want to have a quick check of WW1 service papers on ancestry.co.uk (I'm sure that there won't be too many men with that name, although bear in mind that only about 30-40% of service papers have survived). You can take out a free trial for a couple of weeks, do your homework before-hand so you know what you want to look for, and then spend a day or so searching. Then cancel the trial before you have to start paying.

Am I right in thinking that this type of medal card is generally related to those soldiers who did not go overseas until 1916 at the earliest?

Yes, but do double check that there isn't another one for him. Sometimes there is a separate card for a 1914 or 1914/15 Star.

Using Geoff's Engine shows that;-

65023 was 15th Bn KIA 23/8/18

65066 was 15th Bn KIA 15/11/18

65074 was 9th Bn KIA 4/9/18

65050 was 15th Bn KIA 18/10/18

I think all you can read into this is that he was probably with the 15th Bn Sept 1918 to end of war?

TEW

Yes, but do double check that there isn't another one for him. Sometimes there is a separate card for a 1914 or 1914/15 Star.

Possibly under that name, with a different unit, but not with that number; it's too high for a '15 star man.

Edit; regarding Tew's post, it's certainly looks fairly likely that he served with 15th Bn, but by no means a certainty. You'll only know for sure by tracking down the service papers or looking at the medal roll

The help we have received, as usual, has been excellent. 15th Battalion seems likely but I will contact a friend who can check the rolls. Thank you everyone for the help so far.

Jonathan