Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2 anzacs,am I related?

tony paley

I will try to be brief. For many years there was talk in my family of a Great Uncle who left Ireland in the 1880s. earlier this year I was able to confirm that a William Valentine Paley was born in Kildare in 1866. As a result of a link provided by an Australian member of this forum to a 'freebee' Australian newspaper archive I carried out a search and bingo a result. Prior to this I had no reason to believe he had emigrated to Australia. The article concerned his death in 1927 in Sydney as a result of a traffic accident. Having an unusual name does have its advantages, and often reading other pals posts regarding family etc. I thought I would try a random search through the CWGC site. No Paleys from Canada, new Zealand or South Africa. however I did find two Anzacs: 2205 Pte. Michael Thomas Paley KIA. 22.8.1916 24 Bt. AIF on the Villers Brettoneux Memorial.

5155 Pte.W.L. Paley KIA. 1.7.1918 18th Bt. AIF buried at Villers Brettoneux { XE8)

There were no further family details regarding these two soldiers but it has crossed my mind that there may be a family connection through the above William Paley. I know that many public records can be accessed in Australia but I really wouldn't know where to begin. any help would be welcome.

tony P

Sorry I can't help with your enquiry, but I would like to point out that ANZACS refer to New Zealanders also.

You can't have ANZAC without NZ.

Not having a go at you, so please don't think I am.

Cheers

Grant :rolleyes:

Sorry I can't help with your enquiry, but I would like to point out that ANZACS refer to New Zealanders also.

You can't have ANZAC without NZ.

Not having a go at you, so please don't think I am.

Cheers

Grant :rolleyes:

Sorry about the faux pas Grant, should have known better as I was attched to an Australian unit, part of ANZUK in malaya during the 50s. Also the large old Mansion that I grew up in in Surrey (flats) had been a New Zealand Hospital in WW1 (Mount Felix) I was in the local Army Cadet Force and we paraded on Anzac day at the local memorial and graves in Walton on Thames to pay our respects. My mother always placed a poppy on the plaque in the wall of the house on 11.11. every year.

Tony P

Sorry about the faux pas Grant, should have known better as I was attched to an Australian unit, part of ANZUK in malaya during the 50s. Also the large old Mansion that I grew up in in Surrey (flats) had been a New Zealand Hospital in WW1 (Mount Felix) I was in the local Army Cadet Force and we paraded on Anzac day at the local memorial and graves in Walton on Thames to pay our respects. My mother always placed a poppy on the plaque in the wall of the house on 11.11. every year.

Tony P

No problem Tony. I think I was having a poor second cousin moment :wacko:

Cheers

Tony,

There is also a John Paley who served in the New Zealand Army. His records can be ordered from the New Zealand Archway website, but if you can wait they will eventually be digitized and available online for there for free.

Regards,

Allan

You might wait a long time for Archives New Zealand to digitise those records. I believe the policy is to digitise the records as they are ordered, not as a matter of course.

Joanna

Tony,

I am sure there are many Aussies that will have a look for you - I will later today, but in the meantime you many be able to find any Paley's by using

http://www.awm.gov.au/.

All WW1 soldiers records are free and there are links to the NAA (Nadtional Archives Australia) which will give you service papers, which of course will have the persons actual birthplace etc.

This site is also free.

Cheers David

Tony,

I have had a preliminary look at M T Paley and W L Paney's records as follows

Michael Thomas Paley 2205 Born Cobden (Small town in SW Victoria) age on joining 18 yrs 6 months NOK Father John Thomas Paley.

Michael admitted to a criminal record on joining i.e. Riding his push bike on the footpath :lol:

William Leslie Paley 5155 Born Paddington Sydney age on joining 18 yr 6 months. NOK Mrs Annie Paley. Father presumed deceased.

Each man has over pages of his record listed on the NAA website, which you access thru the AWM (Or direct)

Hope this helps David

Hi

Ancestry has Australian BMD on it now, so you may be able to check in there.

Sorry I dont have a subscription at the moment

regards

Robert

Tony,

William V Paley's parents are recorded as being David and Ellen Paley on the NSW BDM records (1927). Hope this helps somehow. Scotty.

I have found a record of a Mr. W PALEY travelling as a 3rd Class passenger aboard the 'Cuzco' from London to Sydney in 1882.

William Valentine PALEY married Selina MEAD in 1921 at Ashfield, Sydney, NSW.

William and Selina lived at Concord, Sydney, NSW until his death in 1927 after being struck by a motor vehicle.

Selina continued to live at Concord until she re-married Alfred H MILLSON in 1932 at Burwood, Sydney, NSW.

Selina (MILLSON) died in 1949 at Burwood, Sydney, NSW and at the time was listed as being the wife of Alfred Henry and stepmother of Lorna and Clarence. There is no mention of any of her own children which leads me to suspect that she never had any with either husband and therefore there are no direct descendants of William Valentine PALEY.

I hope this has been of help.

Cheers,

Tim L.

You might wait a long time for Archives New Zealand to digitise those records. I believe the policy is to digitise the records as they are ordered, not as a matter of course.

Joanna

Joanna is correct. Interestingly, the J Paley listed on the Archway site does not have a service number and he does not appear on the Auckland Cenotaph Database either. I don't have all my papers with me here at the office, but I'll see if I can find out some more this evening unless someone does so sooner.

A quick search of the NZ BDM index shows two John Paley deaths. One who died in 1931 aged 63 and another who died in 1967 aged 62.

Also, you could search the NZ Papers online site for mentions of Paley. I had a quick look, and there a fair number.

http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bin/paperspast

Cheers

Grant

Hi All,

Talk about hands accross the sea, plenty of information to follow up. Particularly regarding william Valentine. Many thanks for the help.

tony P

The Australian records available are very comprehensive, and make interesting but poignant reading, certainly Michael Thomas Paley ticks a lot of boxes re religion etc. William Valentine, mentioned above, was my Great Uncle. He would have been 55 years old when he married Selina Mead. In any event next visit to France I will visit Villers Brettoneux to pay my respects. I've adopted them.

Tony P