Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2/10 KINGS LIVERPOOL REGT

ralphjd

I have only just discovered another soldier from my village who was killed in WW1, name Thomas Belfield, served with the 2/10th Kings Liverpool Regt, kia 28th February 1917, according to the LLT the 2/10th only landed in France that month (February) can any pal tell me where the regiment was when he fell ? Thanks. Ralph.

The 2/10th were at Estaires in the Bois Grenier sector (Trench Map Ref. 36NW4)

The battalion relieved the Canterbury Regt., N.Z. Division on the morning of the 26th.

The Battalion War Diary for the 28th states:

About noon several "Minnies" landed in our left sector, near parapet, one man killed and one officer (Lieut. McKinnell) stunned. M.T.M. Battery fired off a number of rounds from our Sector in the afternoon. Fairly heavy shelling between 10 & 11pm about which time heavy bombardment heard some miles to North. One or two suspected gas shells fell near Battn. Hqrs. Casualties: 1 Pte killed, 1 wounded shell-shock.

The Battalion frontage was from I.31.c.4.4 to I.26.c.2.2 - between the two green dots on the trench map.

Ken

Belfield1.jpg

Ken. I cannot thank you enough for this information, absolutely brilliant, without naming him the "one killed" has got to be Thomas, many many thanks. Ralph.