Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Newfoundland Park at night

burlington

When I was staying at Avril's last month a group of us decided to walk to Newfoundland Park to see what it was like with the floodlights on.

Sod's law being what it is, we had no sooner got to the main entrance then the lights went out!

For obvious reasons I can't remember what time of night this was. As I am going back mid-September, does anyone know what time they switch the lights off at that time of year?

Thanks

Good question; it used to be around 10pm in the time of Steve Austin Jnr. I will see if I can find out for you.

It's magical up there at night, isn't it? Especially on a summer's evening, with the moth and fly gathering round the beams, and the diffused light drifting across the battlefield...

It's magical up there at night, isn't it? Especially on a summer's evening, with the moth and fly gathering round the beams, and the diffused light drifting across the battlefield...

It would have been if they hadn't turned the lights off!

Thanks

I am not going to mention any names here, But .....

I was staying at Avril's one weekend and we also decided to take a walk to Newfoundland Park at night with a candle powered lantern. It was autumn and the ground was a bit wet and slippy. One member of our party, a lady who I had better not name, was standing on a grassy hillock by one of the trenches. She slipped and whilst sliding down she let off one of the loudest ***** you have ever heard in your life !!!

:lol: Terry

• Admin

I walked round the park last week, with fleeting glimpses of a full moon. We were treated to the sight of owls hunting and two young owls sitting on the boundary fence calling for their parents.

(As an aside, I hadn't been to the park for about 3 years and was shocked at how much it has changed, heavily eroded paths, electric fences, long grass. My 13 and 10 year old sons were quite surprised at the changes as well, it wasn't as they recalled.)

As an aside, I hadn't been to the park for about 3 years and was shocked at how much it has changed, heavily eroded paths, electric fences, long grass.

Also, 'Y' Ravine fully fenced off!

Hi all,

I have to say that in the last few years I have not gone into the Park,

When I first went (some 16 years ago) it was great to walk around any way you wanted, the feeling was enigmatic.

Now, well I don't think new comers can ever get that sense.

My children have loved to go 'over the top', and for those of you who know sebastian he would!

Maybe I will go this year when the lights are on, I might get back that old feeling, it's worth a try.

May be see you there.

Mandy

I have not been to Newfoundland Park (only seen it on various television programmes) but was thinking of taking some pupils there in September. Some comments above make me think we might be quite regimented there. I'd be very grateful to hear your advice. Or where would you go, in that vicinity, instead?

As always very grateful for any help.

Best wishes,

David

There is a lot of roping off on the site now- presumably to help cope with the increasing numbers of visitors. I don't think it is regimented in the way I think you mean though.

As to where else to go, depends what you want the students to experience. I would include Newfoundland within the general context of that particular area and not look at it in isolation. In other words, take the students up on to the Hawthorn Ridge via the track just before Newfoundland to Hawthorn Ridge Cemetary No 2 and then as far as they can go on to the mine crater, so that they can see the general lie of the land.

I wonder how many groups of students actually go up there!

David,

How old are the students?

How much do they know?

The reason I ask this is because my 13yr old daughter was in Normandy the week before 6th June, she was the only one who knew about D-Day and what it meant,

I don't mean to sound awful but most students I have encountered on the battle fields have had little respect for where they are except those who have studied it in detail before hand. And had excellant teachers with them who also knew what it was about.

Good luck with them, I am sure that where ever you will take them will have an impact on them as it did for us on our first visit.

Yours Mandy.

Burlington

Thanks for the suggestion. Is there a map on the web which shows what you describe?

Mandy,

Many thanks for your reply. A range from 12 to 17, most of whom will have been through a GCSE History course which deals with WW1, and all will have participated in the school's annual Remembrance Services - for which I have had a great deal of help from various Pals on this Forum in the last year or so. They will have been thoroughly prepared for the details of the visit.

Regards to both,

David

David,

Hope they all enjoy their visit.

My daughter says a visit to Lochnagar is on her list as is Thiepval, Sunken Road near Mallins shot of the mine, hope this ok for you.

Mandy

David

I can't easily find a trench map on the web though there are some I know. The problem is that I am getting ready for the UK elections tomorrow!

If you go to http://www.unfortunate-region.org/ , click on battlefields and then the Somme, you get some good aerial photos of the area.

For maps, the French IGN Serie Bleue 1:25,000, map number 2407 O covers the area. Specifically it is the area bounded by Auchonvillers-Beaumont Hamel-Hamel.

Good luck. Sorry I can't help more this evening.

Regards

Martin

Martin,

Many thanks for the tip about the IGN Serie Bleue 1:25,000 maps - they seem to be just what I need.

Regards,

David

• 2 months later...
Good question; it used to be around 10pm in the time of Steve Austin Jnr. I will see if I can find out for you.

Paul

Any idea of the time around mid-September?

Regards

Martin

I haven't been in the park for a few weeks, having been working on 1914 tours and on holiday, but the last time I was there they were replacing the lamps - or removing them, I couldn't tell which.

I should be up there again next week and will make some enquiries and let you know.

• 2 weeks later...

As promised, went up there today.

All of the site's lights have been removed, prior to replacement. The park staff suggested they would not be replaced until September, at the earliest.

So the Caribou is not lit at night at all, at the moment!

Ah well. There is always next year.

Thanks Paul

Martin

As promised, went up there today.

All of the site's lights have been removed, prior to replacement. The park staff suggested they would not be replaced until September, at the earliest.

So the Caribou is not lit at night at all, at the moment!

That would explain why when I was there in July it was in darkness at 11 O'Clock!!