Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Eamonn Holmes Grandad Fitzsimmons

roughdiamond

Watching this repeat of "My Family at War" on the Yesterday channel, it struck me how Holmes' Grandad Jack Fitzsimmons had the following on his Death Cert in 1955, 38 years after he was wounded:

"Bronco pneumonia & toxaemia due to ulceration of abdominal hernia due to G.S.W. of pelvis".

Anyone else know of death certs listing WW1 wounds as cause of death all those years later? 38 years is a long time.

I also watched the programme and was surprised, given the advances that were made in repairing gaping holes in men's faces during the Great War and WW2, that apparently no comparable progress had been made in techniques for closing abdominal wounds, and that Jack Fitzsimmons's wound remained unrepaired as late as 1955.

Ruth's Dad was a prisoner of the Japanese in WW2 and had a weeping wound on his leg from that time until the late 1980s, when he had surgery and a skin graft.

Keith

My uncle was hit with shrapnel in 1918 & the Dr's could only remove some of them. He had some still in his kidney & liver right up to when he died in 1953, when his kidney & liver gave out. I do not have a copy of his Death cert but my cousin tells me that cause of death on the cert is due to war wounds.

Does this qualify??/

Peter