Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diaries Look Up

Woodsc

Hi

Can anyone please help ~ I am trying to find out if there is any mention in the war diaries to my man being awarded the MM (Bombr Henry Price 56592) ~ he served with the X14 Trench Mortar Battery RGA. The award was documented in the London Gazette 27th October 1916 and believe he won the MM in the Battle of the Somme ??.

I have tried to obtain a quote from the National Archive for the relevant war diaries but have been told the service is no longer available and advised to either visit the NA or pay for someone to research.

On an earlier thread a GWF member suggested I look at the diaries for period March to July end as my man appears to be back in residence in Wallsend in Mid July (possibly wounded ??)

Does anyone already have a copy of the diaries ??? or if someone is visiting the NA in the near future it would be appreciated if they could have a look (time permitting)

Any help would be appreciated

Colin

Colin

Whoever may get to look for you might like to know more details. Do you know the War Diary reference from the NA Catalogue,or if not,which Division it fought with ? All extra time expended for the willing seeker !

X14/Y14 and Z14 were all TMBs for 14 Division,and their communal Diary is WO95/1888 which runs from Jun 1915 to Jan 1919.

Your man was likely at Delville Wood (15 July to 3 Sept 1916)with these units,which were also at Flers-Courcelette (15 to 22 Sept). If his award was Gazetted in October it would be unlikely to have been for a September action,as I often read here that a (+/-)3 month downtime occurs before it is published.My guess is for an action in July.

Sotonmate

Colin

Whoever may get to look for you might like to know more details. Do you know the War Diary reference from the NA Catalogue,or if not,which Division it fought with ? All extra time expended for the willing seeker !

X14/Y14 and Z14 were all TMBs for 14 Division,and their communal Diary is WO95/1888 which runs from Jun 1915 to Jan 1919.

Your man was likely at Delville Wood (15 July to 3 Sept 1916)with these units,which were also at Flers-Courcelette (15 to 22 Sept). If his award was Gazetted in October it would be unlikely to have been for a September action,as I often read here that a (+/-)3 month downtime occurs before it is published.My guess is for an action in July.

Sotonmate

Hi Sotonmate

Thanks for your help and the associated information ~ quite right the information you have provided will help any willing seeker

Colin