Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Volunteers (VTC and post-VTC)

headgardener

Does anyone here know if there are any records, books, newspaper reports, regimental lists, etc, relating to the various Scottish Volunteer regiments during WW1? (I'm talking about the VTC and post-VTC units). In particular, I'm interested in the 1st/1st Northern Company, Highland Volunteer Regt., though any info on the Scottish Volunteers could be of interest.

Thanks for your help.

There are books in Bells Library Perth that might be of interest. I took a photo of a page of " Historical sketch of the 4th ( Perthshire ) VB just in the passing. Are these any use?

2guxoog.jpg

Mike

Hi Mike,

I'm looking for WW1 era stuff (I need to make that clearer in the heading of the thread), and your pic looks like it's the pre-TF Volunteers. But if there's anything on WW1 era, then I'd be interested.

Thanks for posting that.

Your post was clear enough, I just thought it might be roughly the kind of book you were after. I thought the bottom right soldier might just be ww1. There are more of these books, and next time am in Perth will have a look.

Cheers Mike

Mike,

Yes, it would very much be the sort of thing that I'd be interested in. Anything that gives me some details of the WW1 VTC and/or Volunteer Foprce during WW1, with particular reference to Scotland, and especially if it relates to the Highland Volunteer Companies.

Thanks, I appreciate your help on this.

Wauchope's also has some information on the Volunteer Battalions, My scanner doesn't work at moment, but can photograph and send relevant pages if you like?

Pm me if that's of use to you.

Cheers Mike

The Northern Counties Highland Volunteer Regiment consisted of two battalions;-

1/1st(Inverness & Nairn)Bn,N.C.H.V.R. - H.Q., A.S.C. Hut, Inverness. Became 1st V.B., Cameron Highlanders.

2/1st(Ross & Cromarty)Bn,N.C.H.V.R., - H.Q., Old Militia Barracks, Ross-shire. Became 1st V.B., Seaforth Highlanders.

Suspect the "1/1st Northern Company", N.C.H.V.R. may either be a misprint or existed earlier in the life of the N.C.H.V.R., which may have also had a 2/1st Company, later reorganised into Battalions to suite their recruiting areas.

Other Jock units being;-

1st Bn,City of Aberdeen Volunteer Regiment - H.Q., 80 Hardgate, Aberdeen.

1/1st Bn,County of Aberdeen V.R. - H.Q., 52 Guild St, Aberdeen.

2/1st Bn,County of Aberdeen V.R. - H.Q., 156 Union St, Aberdeen.

1st Bn,Argyllshire V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall, Queen St, Dunoon.

1/1st Bn,Ayrshire V.R. - H.Q., South Harbour St, Ayr.

2/1st Bn,Ayrshire V.R. - H.Q., 4th R.S.F. Drill Hall, Titchfield St, Kilmarnock.

1st Bn,Banffshire V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall, Keith.

1st Bn,Berwickshire V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall, Duns

1st Bn,Caithness & Sutherland V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall, Golspie, Sutherland.

1st Bn,Clackmannanshire V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall, Alloa.

1st Bn,Dumbartonshire V.R. - H.Q., Artillery Drill Hall, Helensburgh.

1st Bn,Dumbartonshire V.R. - H.Q., 14 West George St, Glasgow.

1st Bn,Dumfries-shire V.R. - H.Q., ?

1st Bn,City of Dundee V.R. - H.Q., Drill Hall Douglas St, Dundee

2nd Bn,City of Dundee V.R. - H.Q., Bell St, Dundee.

Sorry I'll have to leave it there as it's late and I leave the country tomorrow, to go back to Saudi.