Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Value of Medals

Arnhem44

I saw a Newfoundland Regiment BWM the other day on Ebay sell for $1,225 dollars named to 844 Pte.F.Hallet.Now I don't know the value of medals to such regiments but is the price mentioned a realistic price for such a medal?.

Brendan

If the group was complete ie a trio i am assuming that he was a casualty on the first day of the Somme 1st July 1916.the Price would be OK .This regiment was virtually wiped out on the first day.If he was not involved on the first day and not a casualty the price is Way of over top .Pardon the Pun :poppy:

Cheers MC

Not a casualty I can find

Well somehow that doesn't surprise me .Im using my mobile at the moment so didnt research him.

cheers Tony

doesnt appear in my copy of soldiers killed on the first day of the somme by ernest w. bell.That aside newoundland

regiment medals are always very sort after even if they were KIA or not . due to the regiments connection withthe battle of the somme.

He is though on the strength of the Newfoundland Regiment on 1st July 1916 - but there are some reservations on the list could have been held in reserve etc, so no guarantee he fought in that particular battle.

Mick

That price may have been the result of two bidders throwing bold final bids in, without appreciating that another might be doing the same. Bidding "bold" to win may be a decisive tactic, but one must still be prepared to pay the piper when another has the same idea.

He is though on the strength of the Newfoundland Regiment on 1st July 1916 - but there are some reservations on the list could have been held in reserve etc, so no guarantee he fought in that particular battle.

Yes, but that's not how a lot of people view these things; I've seen plenty of items (particularly medals and photos) where sellers OR buyers make massive assumptions about the service of the man/woman involved, and it's those assumptions that often push the prices up. It's easy to envisage someone buying this particular medal on the basis that he was DEFINATELY there.

Many years ago, a regular member of this very forum traded a medal with me and, because the recipient had gone to France in early '15, he believed that this meant that he would DEFINATELY have been at Loos. I remember buying a '14 trio, the previous owner had done a big write up on the various battles (Neuve Chapelle, Loos, Somme, etc) that he was sure this man must have served in, but the MIC (included with the medals) showed that he'd been awarded an SWB in early 1915.

I have lost count of the number of photos that I've seen on e-bay which are described as being to a named casualty, yet the only research seems to have been a CWGC search (I remember a naval pic signed 'R. Lawrence', which was attributed to a named casualty solely on the basis of the signature). Blah blah blah.... sorry. Rant over.

And in any case, 'value' is such an arbitrary concept.

Yes value of something compared to what its worth to get hold of is is usually totally different .15 trio ASC Cpl,70 pounds

15 trio to high ranking officer (Brig -Gen etc) infantry 800 pounds or more same medals just a minor difference on the details impressed on them.Same value as in both trios one is Worth a heap more to get :blink:

Cheers Tony

Thanks for the replies lads,at least it gives me hope that I may be able to afford one in the future,lol.Seems a nice sum of money to make on a single BWM.

brendan

I think ego comes into it as well. A person is determined to have that medal, only that one and will pay an exhorbitant price to get it. Then they can say to their mates - Look at this cost me an arm and a leg

to get it but I got it. Some folk have more money than sense.

David

Following on from what headgardner said about people making assumptions about medals.

I do browse ebay and it always makes me laugh when I see a lot of First World War Medals (usually a pair) and the seller states LOW NUMBER!!!

only to look and see it has a letter Prefix.

^_^

Hi All

I collect to the NEWFOUNDLAND REGIMENT and I am unsure why this one went so high. Just glad I started many years ago and don't have the urge to have every medal that comes out on the market.

A typical Newfoundland Regiment BWM single to a private who was not a casualty and under 1000 number could be expected to fetch $300 - $500. The only explaination that makes sense to me is that one person had his Star and another his Victory medal and both were determined to reunite. I have paid well above market value to reunite a group and would do so again.

I would be interested in hearing from members who have Newfoundland items in their collections. I have quite a few identified pictures of Newfoundland Regiment soldiers. Its always great to add a picture to any group.

Regards

Don