Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cpl George Henry Tunbridge - DOW 3 September 1916

NickMilt

Well, with my appetite whetted from some recent research into the brother of my great grandfather, my wife asked me to look into a family connection on her side.

Corporal George Henry Tunbridge (15358) was born and raised in Burnham on Crouch, Essex, and enlisted at St. Paul's Churchyard, London.

The regiment he joined was the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry (6th Battalion, which appears to be one of the 'New Army' battalions) which seems, well, a little unusual given the geography involved and the fact that the Essex Regiment would, presumably, have been recruiting.

What I *don't* yet know is when he enlisted, but the battalion seems to have been formed in August 1914 so presumably then or sometime soon afer. When he died on 3rd September 1916 he was a corporal in the regiment. He appears to have died from his wounds while in a hospital in Rouen, as that's where he is buried.

From the folllowing links it seems he may well have seen action at Trones Wood (don't think he would have been among the relief force at Delville Wood judging from the dates)

http://www.1914-1918.net/14div.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_of_Trônes_Wood

So, I guess my main question is really how did someone from Essex come to be in a regiment which, from my brief research, seemed to draw the majority of its volunteers from Cornwall and the neighboring counties.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

Nick

Nick

I found no service record. His Medal Index Card says he landed in France on 23 July 1915. That Card has reference to the original Medal Rolls (C/1/4B page 191),the 1914-15 Star Roll is in ledger WO329/2716 at the National Archives and may have a date of enlistment shown. There seems to be a bit of variance in what each Army Centre records,but there is a fair chance the date will be there.

Sotonmate

I found no service record. His Medal Index Card says he landed in France on 23 July 1915. That Card has reference to the original Medal Rolls (C/1/4B page 191),the 1914-15 Star Roll is in ledger WO329/2716 at the National Archives and may have a date of enlistment shown. There seems to be a bit of variance in what each Army Centre records,but there is a fair chance the date will be there.

Thanks for that, will give that a look.

Just made me curious as to how someone from Essex ended up in that particular regiment.