Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Ronnyson

I'm trying to help a friend find her GGrandfather......here's what she already knows...

Job Rhodes 27578

Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 1st Battalion

KiA 23/10/16

France & Flanders

He is on CWGC

She is a member on Ancestry, but could find no MIC nor any Service / Pension Records.

Anyone supply anything further ? Looking for anything really......where were they?

Anyone maybe have access to the WD perhaps

Any help as always gratefully received

The MIC -

Medal card of Rhodes, John P

Corps Regiment No Rank

South Staffordshire Regiment 24768 Private

Royal Warwickshire Regiment 27578 Private

Date 1914-1920

It is also on Ancestry.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?rank=0&gsfn=&gsln=Rhodes&sx=&f16=&f14=27578&gskw=&prox=1&db=medalrolls&ti=5538&ti.si=0&gl=&gss=mp-medalrolls&gst=&so=3

John

SDGW -

Name: Job B. Rhodes

Birth Place: Darlaston, Staffs

Residence: Wednesbury, Staffs

Death Date: 23 Oct 1916

Enlistment Location: Bilston, Staffs

Regiment: Royal Warwickshire Regiment

Battalion: 1st Battalion

Number: 27578

Type of Casualty: Killed in action

Theatre of War: France & Flanders

Comments: Formerly 24766, S. Staffs Regt.

John

Her great grandfather's brother, George L Rhodes, was killed on the same day also in 1st Bn. They must have also enlisted together as George's service number is 27577.

On 22.10.16 the bn were in Bernafay Wood (Somme). By midnight they were in position in Shamrock and Fluff Trenches to take part in an attack on the German line south of Le Transloy. They were in support to 2nd Dubs whose job it was to take the Brown Line (1st objective) - the Warwicks to pass through and take the Green Line (2nd objective). Zero was 2.30 a.m on October 23. To attack in waves following the barrage. The casualties were 2 officers died of wounds, six wounded and 150 other ranks killed wounded or missing. The attack failed.CWGC shows 33 deaths that day. There are three October 1916 1st Bn war diary files on the NA web site online section. One is the war diary. One is operational orders. One is operational orders and a detailed narrative report of 23.10.16. Downloadable.

I'm trying to help a friend find her GGrandfather......here's what she already knows...

Job Rhodes 27578

Royal Warwickshire Regiment - 1st Battalion

KiA 23/10/16

France & Flanders

He is on CWGC

She is a member on Ancestry, but could find no MIC nor any Service / Pension Records.

Anyone supply anything further ? Looking for anything really......where were they?

Anyone maybe have access to the WD perhaps

Any help as always gratefully received

John and Alan

Gents thank you both so much for taking the time to look for us, I really do appreciate it.

Alan, some fantastic stuff there mate, how ever you pieced that all together in such a short time Heaven only knows!

I had seen his brothers name and DoD........he is on the Bilston War Memorial .........and I thought it was just too much of a coincidence........

Job was originally with the South Staffs........how on Earth could that have possibly have been "arranged"??

Many thanks again both.

Paul

a) All Warwicks killed are in my database from over 30 sources

B) I have all 1stBn war diaries on my PC

John and Alan

Gents thank you both so much for taking the time to look for us, I really do appreciate it.

Alan, some fantastic stuff there mate, how ever you pieced that all together in such a short time Heaven only knows!

I had seen his brothers name and DoD........he is on the Bilston War Memorial .........and I thought it was just too much of a coincidence........

Job was originally with the South Staffs........how on Earth could that have possibly have been "arranged"??

Many thanks again both.

Paul

hello could this be your man, report from the aston news 1916

kevan

He was a Black Country Man Kevan........they were living in Darlaston, West Mids in 1911........so probably not

Many thanks for looking for me though

Paul

Alan,

I have tried to PM you .......but you don't seem to be accepting any PM's .......so I am hoping you'll maybe return to the thread.......

I was wondering where you obtained the information regarding Jobs brother......... George. The thing is:

1) George was confirmed as being only 16 at the time of his death (1911 census).....possible I understand.

2) 'Our' George is a G.R.Rhodes......this George is on CWGC as G.L.Rhodes...again could be typo...

3) Finally, Job was with the South Staffs previously.......how would they have managed to get consecutive serial numbers?? (For info I haven't been able to check for Georges' MIC as I don't have access)

Please don't take me the 'wrong' way .... I would sort of like the story to be as it is........I'd just like to be sure.

Once again many thanks for all the information so far.

Anyone else who has further information ........please feel free to chip in......

Paul

Sorry - been away

Kevan's man is John.

There does appear to be some discrepancies. I think ages and middle initials are minor ones as I do not entirely trust census returns for these.

I have since found that George's number was one given to a batch of South Staffs transferred into 1st Warwicks in 1916 probably as replacements. Other 1st Bn deaths around that time also have nearby service numbers and Job stands out as one who is not listed as formerly South Staffs. I suspect CWGC and SDGW should have identified Job also as formerly South Staffs. So they probably did not enlist together in the Warwicks(I jumped to conclusions there) but were given consecutive new Warwicks numbers when they transferred. It is a pity that the two major sources do not give ages or address of parents/wives etc. SDGW have Job born Darlaston and George born Bilston and both enlisting in Bilston. Again both enlisting in Bilston might hint at South Staffs initially for both. Do the medal cards for both have entry into theatre dates which might also help whether they had seen any service on the Western Front with the South Staffs or were trained drafts?

Regards

Alan

Alan,

I have tried to PM you .......but you don't seem to be accepting any PM's .......so I am hoping you'll maybe return to the thread.......

I was wondering where you obtained the information regarding Jobs brother......... George. The thing is:

1) George was confirmed as being only 16 at the time of his death (1911 census).....possible I understand.

2) 'Our' George is a G.R.Rhodes......this George is on CWGC as G.L.Rhodes...again could be typo...

3) Finally, Job was with the South Staffs previously.......how would they have managed to get consecutive serial numbers?? (For info I haven't been able to check for Georges' MIC as I don't have access)

Please don't take me the 'wrong' way .... I would sort of like the story to be as it is........I'd just like to be sure.

Once again many thanks for all the information so far.

Anyone else who has further information ........please feel free to chip in......

Paul

hello could this be your man, report from the aston news 1916

kevan

Looks like you were right all the time Kevan.........:blush:

Alan

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Ancestry.......so I have been unable to look at Georges' MIC..........my friend does have access .......but she's "been away" too....:D

I have already emailed her asking her to look for Georges' MIC.........she is hoping to get chance to look the weekend.

Job's MIC is unfortunately about as 'brief' as I have seen .........apart from John P Rhodes...... South Staffs Pte. 24768 and R War R 27578 ..........the only other info is the page numbers of the medal rolls for his Victory & British Medals. The reverse is blank. There is no entry into theatre dates, ( Please see John's link above ) .........I have just noticed John has SDGW has him listed as S Staffs 24766 definitely 24768 on the MIC.........

Interestingly with regard to George........CWGC has him listed as " Age Unknown "

Job's birthplace is almost certainly correct as born Darlaston........this ties in with everything my friend already knows from her Family History searches......and from the census :D

My friend is hoping to look further into George this weekend ...........so if she finds anything new .........and the MIC !!! " I'll be back "

Seriosly, though Alan I really do appreciate the time and effort you have put into looking for us .......and of course for getting back to us.

Regards,

Paul