Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers

inniskilling dragoons

Hello,

I wonder if someone could point me in the right direction I am following a Royal Engineer who served pre WW1, WW1 and I suspect after. I think he served in West Africa I have him on a passenger list coming back from Lagos to Liverpool in 1922 on the Aba British & Africa Steam Navigation Company.

Are there any Royal Engineers in Africa at this time or could it be Royal Engineers posted to the West Africa Frontier Force and if so where would there service records be.

Regards

Inniskilling.

There is a possibility that he could have served in 36th (Sierra Leone) Company, Royal Engineers.

This unit was active in the Cameroons campaign, 1914-1916.

Good Luck Harry

Thanks Harry

I should have made myself clearer, 59th Field Company Western Front 1914-1919, then 1922 coming back to Liverpool from Lagos as a soldier.

All the best

Inniskilling.

Would a soldier staying on transfering from RE to RWAFF have a new number,if so how do you find new number for 1920+.

Regards

Inniskilling.

• 3 weeks later...

I am adding more info to the above.

In 1910 Major General G G Waterhouse with NCO's and men from the Royal Engineers including a SGT Hackett sailed from Liverpool to Lagos. On arrivial G G Waterhouse met Major Genenal Guggisberg to work with the Topographical Branch.

I can find no record of any Royal Engingeer personnel between 1914-1918 althought I am looking for 1922. I have found Captain J P F Butler VC DSO who was commanding the Gold Coast Pioneer Company.

Major Lewis Hall RE was appointed Director of surveys ,also members were G Cheetham & C G Woolner in 1920 other Royal Engineers Officers joined

It was decided in 1919 to re-open the the Survey Dept and to do a topographical survey of Ghana.

After the war men who had served in the RE came out to the Gold Coast to resume their former jobs or start new jobs.

Below is a list of Soliders coming back to Liverpool from Lagos on the ship ABA in Feb 1920.

James Baxter, Robert Bixton, John Burgess, James Butfield, John Byrne,William Cherry,Thomas Chadwick,Arthur Clarke,Thomas Davies,William Dawson,Percy Dimmuck,James Fisher,Robert Gibson,John Gilbert,George Henderson,Ernest Hewitson,Thomas Harn,Herbert Jones,Sydney Kingston,Edward Lewis,George London,Frank Mills,Sydney Mumford,William Price,Arthur Smith,Harry Strong,Charles Woolton and Henry Whitting.

I have added the above names in the hope they may ring a bell with someone.

Regards

Inniskilling.