Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

help in finding dairy

onny

Hi its me again can anybody help and tell me where i might be able to see the war dairy tor the 2nd Siege Coy Royal Anglesey RE if there is one.........

Thanks Chris

Chris you may want to change the title of this thread.

Hi its me again can anybody help and tell me where i might be able to see the war dairy tor the 2nd Siege Coy Royal Anglesey RE if there is one.........

Thanks Chris

At Kew. No digitised PDF version available for download.

WO 95/403 contains the unit records.

Simon.

Thank you for your help . this is me being dum what dose Kew mean????????? and the WO 95/403

The diary is held at the National Archives at Kew - the reference quoted is the file reference to enable you to request it for a personal viewing of the diary.

The diary is held at the National Archives at Kew - the reference quoted is the file reference to enable you to request it for a personal viewing of the diary.

To add a little detail to that;

The National Archives can be visited by anyone. They are on the banks of the Thames in Kew.

Go to www.nationalarchives.gov.uk to find their website. Details about opening times, location, the new car park scheme, etc. are all here.

On their home page: see the search box in the top right-hand corner?

Put the reference I gave earlier into that box and click on the red Search button.

A list of possible results pops up on a new page. The one you seek is the 2nd one down the list. So click on it.

That takes you to the Item Reference. Here you can see, a little down the page, that this refers to the unit you were enquiring about.

Click on the button for Ordering and Viewing options.

There are 2 bullet points on the next page. 'Order printed or digital copies'. If you are loaded then they will copy every page and send them to you, expensive. If you know which page in the diary you would like then you can specify that and they charge by the page copied.

The 2nd bullet point states that this record is held at Kew. This is important to know before visiting. The NA stores many records down a salt-mine in Cheshire. Retrieving these takes 3 working days. But records held at Kew are available at short notice.

Knowing that these records are available onsite, if you plan a visit then you can ask for the records to be got ready for your visit. No waiting around whilst the staff find them and get them out for you.

Simon.

Hi Simon thanks alot for all your help i been on there site and found it just where you said it would be, done a route map and it just under 4 hours away so going to making a weekend of it and see what i can get but like i said before thank you very much for helping me it means alot to me.

Thanks Chris

Just check the opening hours. There is a Travelodge just over Kew bridge, which sometimes has cheap rooms on a Friday night.

Good luck

Keith

And also make sure that you take the required documents to obtain the readers ticket.

You can order documents in advance of your first visit, before first obtaining a readers ticket (usually you have to have the readers ticket first).

Instructions are on their website.

Want a guaranteed car parking space? They've introduced an advance booking system for this. A fiver a day, IIRC?

Simon