Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

How many Coy's did the 2nd Bn Black Watch Have ?

ander11

Hi there Guy's I am trying to find out how many COY'S the 2nd Battalion Had.

I have references for 1st ,2nd,3rd 4th, COY,but I also have references for "C" COY & "F" COY

Can someone tell me if they are numbers or letters , to help me with my research into 2nd Bn

many thanks

IanAnder

Hi Ian. British Battalions in India, had not yet adopted the 4 company organization. 2nd Black Watch still used the 8 Coy system A-H they reorganised to 4 coys on mobilisation.

B & C to Number 1 coy

A & D to Number 2 coy

E & F to Number 3 coy

G & H to Number 4coy

from Wauchope

Cheers Mike

Mike, thank you for the information. I have read about the 8 company system. When these were amalgamated into 4 companies, was this a simple case of merging two companies that were roughly half the size of the final company?

Robert

Hi Robert

Quoting from Wauchope

"British Battalions in India had not yet adopted the four company organization, introduced at home in 1913, and were still organized in eight companies. The Battalion reorganized during mobilization, B and C companies forming Number 1 Company,A and D number 2 company, E and F number 3 Company and G and H number 4 company."

The strength of the Bn on leaving India was 24 Officers and 934 or's

" When these were amalgamated into 4 companies, was this a simple case of merging two companies that were roughly half the size of the final company? "

I presume so, but unsure what happened to surplus Officers and NCO's etc? Will read further later, and if can find any more will post. Perhaps some of our Black Watch experts will have more detail.

Cheers Mike

Thanks Mike,Robert and Tom McC, for your quick replys .

that helps me a lot guy's

Tom, the years I am looking into are 1916-1918

many thanks for the Information given.

Cheer's

Ian

Ian,

Possibly not of use, but on the 30th Sep 1915, the remainder of the 4th Black Watch were placed under orders of the 2nd Black Watch as No.5 & No.6 Companies. This was while the battalions were in Corps Reserve at La Gorgue. On the 6th of November 1915, the 4th Black Watch reformed.

Aye

Tom McC

in general terms, regular infantry merged pairs of companies in 1913/14 ... the orders allowed a little flexibility.

Most should have adopted the 4 coy org by 4 Aug 1914.

The TF were definitely about 6 to 12 months later.

The internal org. of battalion changed little in terms of rank structure, the primary change was that the senior 4 CSgts were appointed CSM, a new appointment.

As far as the soldiers were concerned, the battalion was now "four square", 4 coys each of 4 platoons each commanded in theory by a subaltern but in fact often by a sergeant.

Many thanks again Tom, all information received is useful .

cheers Tom

Ian

thank's Grumpy for the useful info cheer's.

and thank's again Mike for the info and for being really helpful

my best reguards

Ian :thumbsup: