Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8th Bat Border Regiment

loujn

Hi,

Can anyone tell me anything about the movements of the 8th Bat Border Regiment from Jan 1916 until 5th July 1916?

I am trying to research a Seaman Thomas Hayward who joined the 3rd Bat Norfolk Reg on 23rd Jan 1915. He was transfered to the 8th Border's on 5th Nov 1915 and left Felixtowe for France on 29th Dec 1915. He joined the battalion on 23rd Jan 1916. He was reported missing on 5th July 1916.

I am trying to find out about his time in France and especially what the battalion was doing when he died on 5th July 1916.

I had assumed he was killed during the Battle of the Somme as he is remembered at Theipval, but i couldn't find the battalion in the oder of battle for the Somme on the Imperial War Museums website - can anyone clarify this?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Louise

Hi Louise. The 8th Borders made an attack on the Leipzig Salient east of Authuille and south of Thiepval on the Somme on the morning of July 3, 1916. The battalion took heavy casualties. (430 other ranks). My great-uncle fell in the same attack (see signature).

I have gathered a lot of information including copies of war diaries, mapping and the like and made a trip this past April following the march of the battalion to the Somme from Monchy -Breton Chelers (where they were in early June 1916) and walked the battlefield where the action took place.

If you PM me your email address, I'd be glad to pass on my files.

Regards, Pete