Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pension Debberitz

Doug Johnson

The latest addition to my library;

post-7895-000545500 1282404933.jpg

From my limited knowledge of German it appears to be a book of some 60+ pages of sketches, rhymes and other humorous stuff relating to prisoners of war based in Döberitz. Humour in relation to poWs is not something I have seen before and not something that I relate to Germnany. Has anyone else seen anything like it?

Doug

If anyone is interested (and can translate the German properly - gothic script) I will post some extracts.

I think from the title that the humour is directed mainly at the PoWs.

This page then is the first of a poem of some description. I have not yet attempted a translation.

post-7895-073345800 1282472228.jpg

Second part will follow.

I am not sure about the use of the name Debberitz. Döberitz is clearly used throughout the book. Is Debberitz therefore an alternative spelling, which seems unlikely or is it a skit on the accent of the PoWs?

Scots get a lot of mention but I have not scanned those as yet. Meanwhile here is one of the Turcos.

post-7895-029456600 1282472960.jpg

Thanks Doug. The caption to the Turco cartoon says something like "Blimey, you could rent those trousers out as furnished accommodation".

This one is beyond me.

post-7895-013039100 1282567125.jpg

The box is full of what would now be termed Native Troops. Germany was disgusted that Britian and France used such troops against them so presumably that is why the box is carried by British and French soldiers. They are like toys so does that have any significance? Germany recruited from amongst such native prisoners of war so is this a reference to that, i.e. are Britian and France depicted as suppliers of troops for Germany? What is the significance of the cook and the sign that says "To the Kitchen" in English (but without any sign of direction).

Doug

Literally "Suppliers to our Army - POW camp department". The implication seems to be, as you suggest, Doug, that these are more potential recruits being delivered. They are small, I think, simply to allow a lot of them to be shown in the box.

Or are they being delivered to the kitchen like vegetables so that the (German) chef can turn them into German troops?

Doug

This is one re the Scottish, of which a number were at Döberitz.

post-7895-009529400 1282586713.jpg

Again, no attempt to translate this as yet.

Doug