Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Private M. Brown DLI

Hett65

Private 10260 Michael Brown Durham Light Infantry has recorded on his medal index card his first theatre of war on the 21st August 1915 as 5i, and he was awarded a 1914-15 Star trio. I have checked the list for theatres of war and there is no 5i, is this a mistake, can anyone assist me with this enquiry. On the AVL 1918 he is recorded as serving with the 1st Battalion DLI.

John

Hi

The actual 1914/15 Star roll shows this to be Para 5(1) which I believe is the North West frontier.

On the sheet four names below Brown is Alick Frazer who died in India on 16/01/18.All the men named on the sheet are 1/DLI.

regards

John

There definately was a 'Theatre 5(i)'.

In fact, there were theatres 5 (a)-(m) for the award of the 14-15 star. If you're sure it's 5(i) (and not (j) or (l) ) then it would correspond to this theatre of war;

(i) On the Landakai Ridge, north of a line east and west from, but exclusive of Malakand, under the command of Brigadier-General W. G. L. Beynon, C.B., D.S.O., between 21st and 31st August, 1915, by the Malakand Movable Column, which advanced from Chakdara Camp.

John & headgardener

Thanks for the above information, I have a lsit of theatres of war but there was no 5i on my list. I also did a check to see where the 1st Battalion served and one of the countries was India, so your information backs this up.

John

Hi there

1 DLI was one of 8 regular battalions left on the NW frontier throughout the First War. the Regimental History mentions many of the places that have become familiar to us on current news bulletins. history repeating itself or what.

Inkerman

Thanks for your input on this topic, the one thing that puzzles me is that he was awarded a 1914-15 Star trio, whereas I understand men who served only in India received a BWM as their only entitlement.

John

Inkerman

Thanks for your input on this topic, the one thing that puzzles me is that he was awarded a 1914-15 Star trio, whereas I understand men who served only in India received a BWM as their only entitlement.

John

Didn't my previous post answer this query..........?

There were a small number of 'theatres' within India (in reality they were single battles or short-lived campaigns) which enabled a relatively small number of men serving in them to qualify for a '14-'15 star trio rather than the usual BWM entitlement.

headgardener

Please do not give me Field Punishment No 1 for not reading your post properly, I now realise my mistake in that you did point out why he was entitled to the trio.

Thanks

John