Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry E Shuttleworth

Christie

Hi i am new to the forum&this is my first post.Researching my husbands family tree i found that his grandmothers brother served in the first world war.I am trying to find as much info as possible so any input would be greatly appreciated.Henry E Shuttleworth enlisted in Hull in 1902,Royal Garrison,and i know he served in India.He was awarded the 1914 Star and the Victory Medal-34th Brigade R.F.A. and 22Bty R.F.A. He was also wounded(gunshot to the leg) but returned to France,discharged in 1916

Kind regards Christie

There are two medal index cards for him as Henry E Shuttleworth and H Shuttlewoerth and some of his service record in a poor condition as Henry Ernest Shuttleworth, availbale to view on Ancestry.co.uk

H

The records show his parents and siblings, some of which also served in the war.There is detail on his wedding in 1910,his wounds in 1914, his discharge in 1916, and his campaign medals,1914 Star with Clasp and Roses,British War and Victory Medals, plus a Silver War Badge for his discharge to wounds.

You can find out about his war service from the RFA 34 Brigade War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/1324. Having already recently made a summary of the early movements of it's parent (2 Division) I can say that,although there is no detail of it's mobilisation in the UK around early Aug 1914 it came into action in France on 23 August in the area of GUIVRY for the first time. A sister unit in action in the same place,shipped out of Southampton around 16th August and landed in Le Havre prior to entraining for the front.You can get further detail from the War Diary,it is not digital and can't be downlaoded as yet,so a visit or assistance is required to find it's content,though possible that someone here may have some detail for you.

Sotonmate

There are two medal index cards for him as Henry E Shuttleworth and H Shuttlewoerth and some of his service record in a poor condition as Henry Ernest Shuttleworth, availbale to view on Ancestry.co.uk

Hi many thanks for your help ,I feel as if i am getting somewhere now

Christie

H

The records show his parents and siblings, some of which also served in the war.There is detail on his wedding in 1910,his wounds in 1914, his discharge in 1916, and his campaign medals,1914 Star with Clasp and Roses,British War and Victory Medals, plus a Silver War Badge for his discharge to wounds.

You can find out about his war service from the RFA 34 Brigade War Diary which is at Kew under WO95/1324. Having already recently made a summary of the early movements of it's parent (2 Division) I can say that,although there is no detail of it's mobilisation in the UK around early Aug 1914 it came into action in France on 23 August in the area of GUIVRY for the first time. A sister unit in action in the same place,shipped out of Southampton around 16th August and landed in Le Havre prior to entraining for the front.You can get further detail from the War Diary,it is not digital and can't be downlaoded as yet,so a visit or assistance is required to find it's content,though possible that someone here may have some detail for you.

Sotonmate

Hi many thanks for the help ,i didnt know where to go next Ihave been trying to find out where he served for ages,cant make it all out on his records on Ancestry

I have 2 photos of him one with 1 stripe ,one with 2 stripes would these have been for good service and maybe 4years apart? This is all new to me ,once again thanks for your help

Kind regards,Christie

H

Sotonmate

Hi many thanks for the help ,i didnt know where to go next Ihave been trying to find out where he served for ages,cant make it all out on his records on Ancestry

I have 2 photos of him one with 1 stripe ,one with 2 stripes would these have been for good service and maybe 4years apart? This is all new to me ,once again thanks for your help

Kind regards,Christie