Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Any info on ths photo 2?

charliecroker

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure about cap badge, but shoulder title shows he's a territorial. A letter 'T' above the battalion number and battalion name.

Hi,

Could it be 5th London? I think that a close up of the hat would possibly clear this up, or possibly one of his shoulder title.

Robert

Hi,

Could it be 5th London? I think that a close up of the hat would possibly clear this up, or possibly one of his shoulder title.

Robert

I see what you mean, Robert - just thinking though that perhaps the 5th London would have more of a pronounced section at the base where the City of London shield is.

It also has a touch of the Suffolk Regiment about it too, at this distance.

PJ

It's very definately a Bedford's badge.

The scroll sticking out on the Bedford's badge is a little higher (approx 8 o'clock) than that of the mace and sword on a 5th London's (more like 7 o'clock). Also the Bedford's has a 'punched out' area surrounding the central motif (a stag) which is visible on this image, while the 5th London's badge is solid (maybe there were some variants - if so, I'm sure that someone will be along soon to inform me of the errors of my ways....).

As for the 10th London's; the scroll wraps around the bottom of the badge, so there isn't a 'sticky-out-bit' on either side (as there is on this image). The 5th and 10th are rounded (central motif is surronded by a wreath in both cases), while the Bedford's is a Maltese cross superimposed on a star, leaving some angles around the edge. But we can't really see that from this image - it's not close enough.

As for the 10th London's; the scroll wraps around the bottom of the badge, so there isn't a 'sticky-out-bit' on either side (as there is on this image).

Beds & Herts is a very plausible contender, and a slick entry early on in the competition - though I beg to differ on the matter of the 'sticky-out' bits on the 10th London.

Whilst I agree the 10th PADDINGTONS does not have these protrusions, the 10th HACKNEYS most certainly does. This isn't to say that the photo is NOT the Beds & Herts, of course, though from here, the badge pictured looks as though it does not have the pointier characteristics of the B&H's star and cross. Mind you, it is difficult to see it.

Peter.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes, and are actually in complete agreement; the scroll on the 10th Hackney badge DOES stick out, but not in the downward/laterally angled way that the Beds scroll does. The scroll on the 10th more or less follows the contour of the wreath, giving the scroll the appearance of being wrapped round it. When I said 'sticking-out-bits', I meant 'sticking-out-bits' in the manner of the sword and mace or the Beds scroll. I knew what I meant, but should have been clearer. Sorry.

And in ID-ing this badge I also have the benefit of knowing that this image was part of a series of images posted by the originator (hence this being image 2), and they're all Beds men (I seem to remember), and perhaps more clearly Beds than this man.

I think we're talking at cross-purposes, and are actually in complete agreement; the scroll on the 10th Hackney badge DOES stick out, but not in the downward/laterally angled way that the Beds scroll does. The scroll on the 10th more or less follows the contour of the wreath, giving the scroll the appearance of being wrapped round it. When I said 'sticking-out-bits', I meant 'sticking-out-bits' in the manner of the sword and mace or the Beds scroll. I knew what I meant, but should have been clearer. Sorry.

And in ID-ing this badge I also have the benefit of knowing that this image was part of a series of images posted by the originator (hence this being image 2), and they're all Beds men (I seem to remember), and perhaps more clearly Beds than this man.

You're cheating! Not playing anymore! Gimme my ball back! :angry2:

• 1 year later...

Beds & Herts is a very plausible contender, and a slick entry early on in the competition - though I beg to differ on the matter of the 'sticky-out' bits on the 10th London.

Whilst I agree the 10th PADDINGTONS does not have these protrusions, the 10th HACKNEYS most certainly does. This isn't to say that the photo is NOT the Beds & Herts, of course, though from here, the badge pictured looks as though it does not have the pointier characteristics of the B&H's star and cross. Mind you, it is difficult to see it.

Peter.

Beds & Herts is not a very plausible contender at all. This is plainly a Bedfordshire Regiment man.

I agree and thought Bedfords as soon as I first saw it to be honest. The badge shape and long scroll are quite distinctive.

post-599-0-30855700-1336237836.jpg